Constant Flashing Data Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I'm wondering... should the datalight on my Toshiba Cable modem be flashing continuously all the time... 24 hours a day? Even when all the computers are turned off and their power sources have been disrupted/disconnected? Seems my modem is constantly interacting with something. Is this normal?

I've seen a dsl modem before. It's data light only flashes when you're actually doing something on the net and the computers are on.

cable modems are permanently connected to the internet, even if your PC/s is/are not
the activity light on most modems should only flash when connected to your PC.
I think your's is connected to a router, and/or it flashes with activity to and from the ISP's server

Yes, its going to blink 24/7 unless you unplug the power to the modem itself everytime you shutdown, which is probably not a good idea. Cable modems are always connected so you will have to deal with the flashing data light.

Hmm. Ok. I was just wondering if it was normal that its constantly flashing. I know it's connected to the isp server 24/7. Last night when i went to bed i turned the pc's off and cut the power to them. The only thing on were the router and the cable modem, which flashed all night long.

I have a friend who has a dsl modem in his house. It only flashes when he's actually doing something online to warrant it. Interesting. So i guess those of you who have cable modems experience the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom