Consolidating a LOT of HDD Storage Files - Advice Please! :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Arrow Consolidating a LOT of HDD Storage Files - Advice Please! :)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to consolidate terabytes of data... and although I remember reading about the method to do what I'm attempting, it was a few years ago and I have no idea where to start or even what to search for.

QUESTION: What is the best method (software/program) of indexing/searching through all of my internal/external hard drives in one step hopefully, to identify all redundant/repetitive files that are present with the same details (date, size, name) so I can cut everything down to a SINGLE streamlined master-backup?

What's happened is:
over the years after some pretty devastating computer crashes I've done my best to make backups and do cloud-computing as well... but with my frequent full backups every few months, I've simply copy-pasted my laptop's HDD to external storage, and failed to delete or organize all of the PREVIOUS backups that were already in place. *So out of the mass amounts of photography I've done for example, the same exact image might exist in four places, in essence quadrupling it's storage usage

BinaryCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Consolidating a LOT of HDD Storage Files - Advice Please! :)

Here's ones you could try:
Find duplicate files with Auslogics Duplicate File Finder
Duplicate Cleaner Screenshots

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Consolidating a LOT of HDD Storage Files - Advice Please! :)

Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Thanks, I'm going to check them out now...
BinaryCode is offline   Reply With Quote

data, hard drive, organize, redundant, storage