considering a upgrade but I don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
I recently moved all my stuff over to the new thermaltake shark case and it took a while. All my wires look good now and I have a clean setup but it took a while to get everything in and connected not to mention screwing the motherboard on to the removable tray was really frustrating. I could only get 3 screws in as the board was bending so much and it was hard enough getting the screws to stay in but it's been about 3 months and everythings fine. Anyways heres my setup

Asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard
Pentium 2.4 ghz (oc'ed to 2.88)
1 gig ram PC3200 400 mhz DDR
Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb ram
73 gig harddrive IDE
120 gig harddrive IDE

My computer runs pretty good but I think it's going to start showing it's age soon. Many people have given me negatives on several of my equipment. I have had bad feedback regarding the fact I still use IDE. I have had bad feedback about not having enough ram. I've had bad feedback for running Intel (plus the fact it's 2.4), and I've had plenty of bad feedback regarding my video card.

I walked into my local computer shop and they said that intel changed their chipsize and the chipset therefore I would need a whole new motherboard and supposedly AGP would soon be discontinued. With this in effect I am wondering if I should upgrade or save my money for all new parts. I don't have much money right now but what do you guys think? I really hate to go through the hassle of taking everything out again as I have a pretty poor workstation to work on my stuff. I was considering upgrading my hd's first to SATA and maybe my video card but does the cpu need to be upgraded?

I dont know...I think that it sounds good..just how it is. Wait to upgrade your processor when a new 4.8GHz comes out..then do it..

You are crazy, IDE is still fine and you have enough ram. Whoever said stuff about your IDE hard drives and 1 gig of ram needs to try to overclock their brain :p

Well the SATA drives seem to be really cheap now, considering a 160 gig SATA drive since I really need more space to begin with. If worst comes to worst I can always buy a 3.0 cheap and overclock then get a new video card if requirements raise.

Hey Pilman, I think I know what your suffering from,
computer boredom.

Im not sure what you USE your system for but I would
say it is fine for most anything except the latest in gaming
but even then you can run most games just fine.

As to your REAL problem-you are suffering from "computer
boredom" and the only known cure is to go out and spend
more money on new system parts. Im sure the industry
loves people like you.

Here's what Im saying, you are bored with simply using
your computer and I would suggest you have more fun
tearing into the system, handling the parts, unplugging
and plugging in cables, Running benchmark tools, watching
the bar graphs go from left to right or up or down.

Please understand, Im not at all criticizing you because I am
the same way. I have more fun noodleing around inside the
case, using FDisk or Partition Magic, than ACTUALLY using
the thing for some REAL purpose. You might have more of a
"Builder Menatality" that requires you to always be fiddling
inside the case.

Your system seems fine for most any purpose and should
be fine for some time unless having the latest or cutting
edge pieces is a must and then, well, you will continue to
spend money on parts that in most cases only offer moderate
increases in overall system performance.

The cure: Start building or repairing friends and family members computers and this should satisfy the need. On the other hand,
if you have the money by all means purchase what ever you
want and donate your old stuff to kids or families who dont
own, or have a really outdated system.

Again, this ISNT a criticism but an observation of what I read
on many forums so dont take it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom