connecting Hard Drive to other Computer -HELP needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gengen

Solid State Member
My cousin had a problem with her PC.
Her anti virus went out of date and she filled her PC with Virus(had more than a 100!!).
Avast and Ad-aware and Spybot weren´t able to erase them all and asked to reboot.

At reboot Windows98 asked for its serial to continue.
The problem is that when I asked her for the instalation CD she said she had none.
The guy that sold her the PC didn´t put a W98 CD with it and she only then found out (by me) that that was illegal.

Now the problem is how to acess to her data that she wants to retrieve.

Taking the Hard Drive off and conecting it to another PC, right?
But how do I do that?

I would appreciate that someone helped me with some detailed info.
Thanks.

I have a PC with W2000 on it. Can i do it in mine?

PS:by the way. before encouraging me to go to the computer store where she bought it and beat the *#@% ou t of that guy or some other interesting legal procedure, please note that it´s already closed. No one to charge now.

You shold be able to access all the data
first boot up in safe mode after attaching the hard drive and changing the jumbers so it reads as the slave (how to change the jumpers should be on the hard drive)
Make sure it boots off the first hard drive . you can check this in your bios. It will list the boot order. Make sure master hdd is number one. once you boot it up you should be able to access al the data.
Note: some applications may fail to boot as the drivers for them are not on the win2000 os. let me know how it goes

Just take out the hard drive, change the jumper to slave and stick it on a spare connector in your PC.

As you should know, you can copy files, but NEVER run anything from that harddrive.

Thanks for the help. I´ll try to do it tomorrow morning(in about 9 or 10 hours-it´s midnight where I´m at), and then I´ll keep you up on the news :)

Apart from that you could try "find" a legal cd-key from the internet or somewhat, just advise - no need to take it :)

thanks for the tips. you´ve been most helpful.
always learning.
I´m a Hdd swap information guru now :D
hope i´ll never need taht knowledge again thow.

sorry for the delayed reply, bu´t i haven´t had internet, so...

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom