Connecting front panel USB ports?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawbreaker4Fs

Beta member
I am using a Soyo CK8 Dragon Plus Motherboard with a Soyo CX-5959 tower. My problem is that I'm not exactly sure how to connect the USB front panel of the case to the motherboard. The motherboard documentation has a picture of the USB20_1 connector on the motherboard:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/jawbreaker4fs/USB20_1_2.jpg

and the actual cables coming from the front of the case look like this (the one that's got too much light says USB 2+):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/jawbreaker4fs/USB20_1.jpg

There are two sets of these cables which are identical, except one says USB1 and the other USB2. My question is which of these goes where on the motherboard connector? Specifically... what is the VCC connector for? I would make an educated guess to say that it's power, but I'm not 100% sure. In addition, does each set of connectors connect to one side of the connector (in the diagram... do I put all the cables for USB1 on the left, and USB2 on the right?)? And my final question is that the one side of the connector has an extra spot for a grounding cable... is it ok to leave this empty, as I only seem to have one grounding connector per USB port?

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

It is ok to leave the last Grind empty. Mine is setup the same way. In the first diagram you showed, each side powers one USB port. Therefore in that diagram, that port will power two USB ports.

Just use 1 Grind wire for each side.

well, ok... but looking at the diagrams I need something to power it, right? I'm pretty sure the front panel runs USB 2.0 and I wouldn't have thought that would require an additional cable.... but maybe I'm wrong?

well... through even more research of my own it seems I've come across an answer.

The USB standards (as outlined at http://www.directron.com/installusb.html) indicate that the red wire is used for power. Now, I wouldn't have made this assumption without a basis for comparison in the components I actually have. It turns out that the white wire matches the D-, the green wire matches the D+, and the black wire matches the GND in both my components and the standards... so I'm thinking it's only logical that the remaining red wire.. although labeled VCC in my components... must be for power. Anyone else agree with my logic, or am I making some kind of terrible mistake?

good find Jawbreaker4Fs. yeah it is confusing, I think you have to leave out the right ground connector. I don't think you can just leave out which ever one you want. Jawbreaker4Fs you see how it has a set called xxxxx2? all of the 2's go on one side and the 1's go on the other side. you should be able to deduce where each ground goes to by that logic. the only way you can screw up is if you take say a speaker and make a short circuit in the USB header. since the USB header outputs electricity your motherboard should catch on fire if you did that. if you connect the wrong peg in the wrong pin in the USB header nothing will happen, your USB just won't work. plus you can short anything out doing that

it goes VCC, - , + , GND. Vcc being on the far left. Your first row of pins will have an extra unused pin at the far right wich is ok, leave it like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom