connecting 2 HD's and 2 burners question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tephlon

Beta member
I use to have the 2 burners on one IDE and the 2 HD on it's own IDE. set as master/slave. the burners are conflicting now cus of this (master/slave) so I am switching both to master and split them up onto 2 different IDE's.

few questions:

ALL cd burners AND HD's should be set to master?

Does it matter what order the devices is in in the IDE chain when you connect, should it go HD first (coming from the MB) and then the burner?

The HD with the OS, does it matter which IDE channel it's on? Primary?

-No, there should be 1 master and 1 slave on each cable.

-It doesn not matter in wich order, unless when you are using "cable select" the drive wich you want to boot from has to be on the second connector

-no, it does not matter.

I suggest this setup to prevent problems:

Primary IDE: 1 master HD with OS on second connector (from MB)
1 slave HD on first connector

Secondary IDE: 1 cd-rom as master on last connector and 1 cd-rom as slave on first connector

Please post your system specs :)

TheMajor said:

I suggest this setup to prevent problems:

Primary IDE: 1 master HD with OS on second connector (from MB)
1 slave HD on first connector

Secondary IDE: 1 cd-rom as master on last connector and 1 cd-rom as slave on first connector

Please post your system specs :)

Specs:
p3 800mhz, 394 sdram
Xp Pro

I had my setup done the way you had there. The thing is that the cd drives are DVD combo drives (one is a DVD burner). The DVD burner won't burn DVD's anymore so I called tech support (Lg) and the final conclusion was to set the burner as a Master on a different IDE than the other DVD combo drive.

Thanks for the help.

oh crap.

won't detect any of my devices. I have BIOS set to auto, cables/power fit in snuggly (lights blink on the cd drives), jumpers set proper (one master and slave per IDE).... anything else I'm missing?

ps: I tried reverting back to my old setup (IDE connection and jumper settings) and it won't detect anything there either :eek:

be back later...

It should work fine that way. Check your cables and swap the device on the last connectors with the ones on the first connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom