Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noknowledge

Baseband Member
okay here:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq
System Model: Compaq PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~750MHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 185MB used, 432MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI RADEON VE DDR
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
DAC type: Internal DAC (350Mhz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_2030148C&REV_00
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: COMPAQ MV540 Color Monitor

I am trying to get my computer well running for the sims 2 I will worry about the freezing problem later...

So here's the specs for the sims 2
If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:
2.0 GHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

okay now in order for me to Run The Sims 2 to WELL not EXCELLECENT just WELL OR EVEN SMOOTH...what else do I need to do:

So far I am doing the following

1. Upgrading to 9600 pro
2. Getting more memory/ ram (whatever you wanna call it) 256 stick

Now if your going to recomned me something please don't give me some crazy gamig thing just give me a good inexpensive one also....
i didn't tell you but this is THE ONE game I will play on my computer
so if that makes a differnce before you tell me something thank you.

ok first off...not only do you have a duron chip but its at 750MHz......ATI Radeon VE DDR gives absolutely no information about how new the card is and how much memory is on it, but that doesn't matter if you plan on getting the 9600 pro, if you can afford just a tiny bit more try for the 9800. Getting another 256mb stick of ram will help, but you can get some valueram since you are only looking to play that game, you can get a 512mb stick of valueram for about $75 you should do that instead.

READ THIS:
then you need at least:
2.0 GHz processor or better

You're at a 750MHz duron my friend......that needs to be high on your priority is getting a new processor, and don't get duron. Duron is the bottom end of the processor family. I kinda need to know what your budget is to give you a better estimate, but you need to go for an Athlon XP series processor. $90 you can get an AMD Athlon 2400+X XP and that is 2GHz perfect for what you need. Hell I think for a few dollars more you can get the AMD Athlon 2500+ XP and that thing is overclockable up to 3200+ speeds. But it sounds like you are somewhat new with computers so overclocking doesn't seem like an option. Honestly I'd try for the 2500+ anyway because it has 512k cache and a higher FSB which will allow for better RAM. Hope this helps some.

Summing it all up:
GET A NEW PROCESSOR! 2400+ XP will do you good but has a 266FSB which means your RAM will only run as fast as PC2100 RAM. If you get the 2500+ XP you'll have 333FSB and can get PC2700 RAM.
9600 is good, try for 9800 if you can
get a 512mb stick of value ram for around $75 (kingstong, OCZ, corsair, mushkin, all good brands)

Hope this helps

If you will note on the Sims2 website it states that the MINIMUM requirements are a 800Mhz CPU even with the new graphics card you are planning to upgrade to. If I were you I might think about chaning out the CPU and Motherboard if you can, and then stick with a lower end Video Card untill you can afford a nicer one. I mean you can get a nice eVGA GeForce4 4000 or a FX 5200 for under $60 and then when you can afford a newer, better card use the Step-Up program offered by eVGA and they will knock off whatever you paid for your existing card towards a new one. Also even if you do get a ATI 9600 Pro, you will not be able to use its full power with that 750Mhz CPU. That card alone is almost as powerful as your existing CPU. So I would say get a new CPU and Motherboard, that will at least let you meet the requirements for the game. Then when you can, buy a decent video card. As for ram, you need more of it, and that can be cheap or expensive any way you look at it. Anyway, do some shopping look around. Parts are not that expensive if you just take the time to look. I hope I have been of some help.

Well thax but the two things I am absoultly not doing are getting a new processor or a new motherboard...BTW what is value ram?

value ram is ram with high latency, its cheaper, and perfoms not as well as low latency ram. And man u should definately get a new proc and mobo. With that proc, ul run in 480x640 in minimun details and all :D
hehe.

OMG LOL can you guys please stop using these crazy terms I have no idea what your talkin about I am not getting a new comp. nor a new motherboard my budget is 175$ in that I plan to buy video card and RAM and my dad will by the processor..When were talkin about gaming what do the processors help with. Also if i do everything you guys tell me will the Sims 2 run smooth?

the higher the frequency, the faster the proc can process the data, and send it to the other stuff in ur pc. value ram basically is cheap ram that dopesnt perform as well as the corsair xms series or any major brand, but its fine for normal usage. with 175, get a gfx card and some ram, get 512 if ur mobo can support it. and for the gfx card, spend w/e u have left on the best ati card u can get. or nvidia if u want

go to www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com stores majorly overprice there pc components

Did this help you? if not tell me, il explain better

Well okay yes so far it's helping but help me out with this I already got the processor good and the video card.....So I got to best buy " Sir I want more RAM for my computer I wanna upgrade to 512MB for better gaming expierce" "okay just give us your computer and will upgrade to 512MB for you"....is that how it's goin to work? what is Mobo.

mobo=motherboard
If your not shur what u are doing, i would bring in ur pc so they can do it for u, but itl cost lot more. just bring it in, and ask them what u need to buy, then get it online, itl be like 100$ cheaper on the sites i showed u.
be 100% shur b4 buying, so u wont have compatibility issues

okay cool thax so I should only go to them to see if the processor will work or the 9500 Pro(<i changed my mind) also...Where do I go to get my stick of 256MB to buy and to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom