Conecting a USB printer to a Parallel port - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Conecting a USB printer to a Parallel port

I am stumped. Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a parallel port? I have found adapters to go parallel to USB but no luck going the other way.

Thanks!

Marnie

Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Conecting a USB printer to a Parallel port

Why would you want to connect a USB printer to a parallel port? USB will give you a much faster data transfer rate. If for some strange reason your computer does not have USB 2.0 ports, I would recommend buying an external USB hub. And I have never seen an adapter your speak of either.

I would stick with USB

Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake91839 View Post
Why would you want to connect a USB printer to a parallel port? USB will give you a much faster data transfer rate. If for some strange reason your computer does not have USB 2.0 ports, I would recommend buying an external USB hub. And I have never seen an adapter your speak of either.

I would stick with USB
The machine does not have a USB port, it only has a serial & parallel port. It is a ABG machine (medical equipment) not a PC.
I've searched high & low & can't find anything that goes from USB to parallel but does go the other way around.
A hub wouldn't work seeing how there isn't a USB port in the first place.
Thanks though. I think they will just need to purchase a parallel printer.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

You can buy an external print server and make it a network printer. They have em in USB or parallel.
HP Jetdirect en1700 IPv4/IPv6 Print Server overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
You can buy an external print server and make it a network printer. They have em in USB or parallel.
HP Jetdirect en1700 IPv4/IPv6 Print Server overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Thank you so much for your help!
Closed Thread