Concerned about KVM switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
A client of mine wants to be able to watch avi files from his computer to his plasma tv, my concern is that the computer will be outputing the signal in 1440x900 res where as the tv is 1920x1080.

I don't want the image to be odd, stretch or made into a box or anything.

I was looking at this kvm switch since the plasma tv has vga in.
Newegg.com - GWC VS1120 Video 2-Port Splitter - KVM Switches

So my question is, without giving you the plasma tv model what will the tv do when the computers onboard video is sending it a 1440x900 signal?

Will it just use aspect ratio to stretch it to fill the screen or what?

ideas suggestions?

Does the computer in question have the ability to run dual monitors?

That would be easiest and less expensive as you would just need a vga cable amnd could set the res to 1920 x 1080 or whatever is native for the tv.

Even a cheap gpu might be a better solution than a kvm.

I can change the resolution on my htpc to see what the tv does for you. Wife is using it now. Will test later.

No it has onboard video, and the client doesn't want to upgrade any parts.

with that switch do you know if the computer will detect the new monitor and allow me to up the resolution output?

So I can just turn off the 19'?

according to the specs at the egg:
Video Resolution 1920 x 1440

Should be fine they would just need to change resi each time. They could also see if 1440x900 does not look too bad. 16:10 to 16:9 might not look to bad.

That was from the kvm switch. I thought you were asking if the switch could handle a resolution of 1920x1080

oh no, IM sure it could but I think your right with the video card idea being easier.

That card can have both of them hooked up at the same time and he would just use nvidia control panel to switch between them right?

I think that would work but I wanna make sure..

He could set them up as mirrored so they would both display the same thing so no changes needed. He could even be looking at his monitor while giving a presentation on the TV. Should be able to grab a card that would work for no more than $40.

Yea I think he will just use nvidia control panel to switch between the two monitors when viewing movies or tv shows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom