Computer won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posts_For_Help

Solid State Member
I recently bought a ASUS P4S8X-X motherboard, new video card, new memory, and a new case.I installed everything but the motherboard isn't getting any power (The standby light on the board isn't lit). I tried switching power suppleis to my other one that previously provided power to the board but it won't work either. Any ideas to what is causing this? If you need to know the case it is Raidmax ATX tower, and the power supplies do have the extra 12V power cord. Thanks for any help

Can you give full specs
need more detail
Are you sure the powersupplie you are using works
Are you sure the pws is on
I am not saying you are dumb or anything but Ive done it.
and you didnt mention anything about a cpu.

Ok the power supply that I tried first came with the case which is brand new. The other one is about two years old, and was working in perfect condition 2 weeks ago. The CPU is socket 478 and is compatible with the board. I just tried to turn it on again and I notice then when I turn the power switch on, the power supply makes a clicking sound "tick tick tick tick" and eventually stops. The brand new power supply has one extra pin connector for the motherboard which I don't know where it would plug in, it doesn't fit anywhere. Like I said, the older power supply did supply power to the board but now it doesn't.

Also, make sure that you have all the headers and pins connected correctly. For instance, on my motherboard I have front panel USB 2.0 connectors, and I had them connected backwards and my motherboard wouldn't turn on, I flipped em over and it started right up.

Ok first off, ravenmadtaoist I never set that as my homepage. I don't know why it is there. I left all those optional fields blank when I created this name. I fixed it as of now but whatever. Second off, Roo I am on this board asking for help not for you to be immature. And finally about the powersupply, everything on the motherboard should be connected correctly because it was receiving power 2 weeks ago when I first tested it. I tried unplugging everything except the motherboard and it still got no power. I am guessing the power supply is busted? And for MicroBell, the extra connector isn't the 4 pin 12V for the CPU, that one is plugged in. It has 6 small holes, and 6 larger ones. I've never seen a conncetor like this so sorry for the bad description. I am probably gonna take the PSs somewhere to be tested.

Do you have the motherboard on the raisers? They are little gold screws that go into your case, then your motherboard sits up on them, and you screw it into them. I know it sounds stupid, but some people forget to use them and actually they are just shorting the motherboard. I didn't know I was supposed to use them the first time, I thought something was horribly wrong. Stupid me.

Haha, yeah, there should have been some little gold screw things that came with either your case or your motherboard. You can screw them into your case, and then they have screw holes in them too. It works best if you have a permanent marker. Then you can see where your case is going to be mounted, and make little marks on the back panel of your case and put the mounting screws in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom