Computer wont turn on after being assembled

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBobCat

Baseband Member
recently i decided to build a 3rd computer, well i got all the parts, hooked it up and everything - and it never turns on. nothing happens

ive tried everything i could think of, from jumping the switch right on the motherboard, to swapping out power supplies and i have no idea what is wrong.

i think it may be the motherboard, but i dont want to have to buy a new one, so can you list some suggestions as to what i should do?

When you say nothing happens, does that mean nothing in the computer works when you power on? Did you check your wall socket? Get a voltmeter and check if the psu works, then the mobo. Did you use ESD protection when putting it together?

sounds like your front panel conections to the mobo are not correct. remove all the plugs and try getting only your power switch working 1st.Some manuals can be deceiving as to how your conections are made. Of course make sure if your PS has a switch on the back that its on .

there may be two connections coming from the power supply...

my Gigabyte mobo has the main "Wide" power cable and a little 4 pin connecter...

I didnt have the 4 pin connected and went crazy for about an hour

i checked and the power supply is in working order, it has electricity coming into it - when i press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. it's like trying to turn on an unplugged computer and i used ESD protection when putting it together. i checked for an additional power supply connection, i couldn't find it, and im about to head off to school so i will try switching around the hookups, but as i said before - even trying to jump the computer on using a piece of wire to connect the two prongs that receive the power cable. i'll try to use the other prongs as well. thanks for your advice

You know what I would check? Did you use the risers that came with the case when you attached the motherboard? There should have been some gold screws that came with your case that you screw into the back panel of your case for mounting your motherboard, you set your motherboard on those and then you screw it on. Many many many people have made this mistake. I would check and make sure you did this. If you didn't, take it apart and start over again. By the way, I did the same thing my first build.

yes bandage boy the standoffs were installed, and installed in the proper place, and i double checked the switch on the power supply, and all other connections. so you all think it's the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom