computer wont post

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiofar

Baseband Member
I need some advise. I took up the task of cleaning up an old Compaq computer for my sister in law. It is an 800 mghz celeron with the basics. I added a little ram to it plus a cdrw ( I had the parts laying around) I formatted the hd and installed a new operating system as well as a few other goodies. When I was done and was doing the final driver downloads from microsoft, the computer screen froze and a bunch of lines went across it. I tried to reboot but it wont post (nothing happens on the monitor). The monitor is fine I tested it with another computer. I am worried that the onboard video gave out. The mobo does not have and AGP slot so I cannot add a AGP video card. I am in a bind, although I feel somewhat responsible I do not want to sink in alot of money to fix this thing. Anyone have any suggestions, do you guys think it is the onboard video and if so is there a cheap fix (replace mobo or buy a PCI video card, although I have heard they are expensive). Any suggestion would be apprecieated.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmmm...it is possible that the onboard vid blew....try removing the extra ram you put in and see if it works.

ya, your onboard let out its factory smoke. I had the same thing happen with one of my video cards. It did the same and its just a pile of junk now.

Bunch of lines on the screen...does indeed sound like the onboard vid blew. A cheap PCI graphics card wouldn't be expensive at all and it probably wind up being MORE powerful lol.

Check out newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom