Computer Stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehqir

Solid State Member
Hi,

My computer has recently developed this really annoying problem. While I am using the computer it will just stall, the mouse and keyboard will stop responding (no power) the hard drive light on the computer shows no activity, the image is still displayed on the screen but nothing responds, I have to restart the computer. It does this everytime I use the computer, and is random in the time it takes to occur. I noticed that it tends to stop responding when doing some kind of heavy task which involves lots of activity.

I couple of months ago I installed a new graphics card and sound card and some more memory. Though I had no problems for a long time after installing this stuff one day the computer started having this problem and I have been unable to fix it.

I have re-installed driver, installed all the latest drivers, and even have formatted the hard drive and re-installed Win XP to no avail, the problem is still there. Its got to be hardware but can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have tested the memory using memtest86, and have got back no errors. The memory doesn't seem to be faulty, I even took out the memory and put some new memory in both the dimm slots in my computer, I even tried only inserting one module in both the dimm slots individually and still the problem remains.

The thing is it has gotten worse, but once during the memory change I got a BSOD.

Here is the error message I got once or twice when the computer crashed.

No driver information at all just this:

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC000001D, 0X804EEC51, 0XF89F4C70, 0XF89F4970)

It crashed again after this message and I had to reformat the hard drive, however know when I put in my Windows XP Upgrade CD and I get to the point in the install where it asks insert a CD to prove I had a previous OS, as I do I notice all power disappears to the keyboard and everything stops responding. I cannot even now install windows.

I have also taken everything out of the PC and just left some new memory + graphics card + motherboard and it still crashes. I have changed the graphics card with another and still the problem occurs.

PC DETAILS: 1GHz AMD ATHLON, 512 PC100 SDRAM (KINGSTON), 128MB GEFORCE 4 MX, 40GB HARDDRIVE 7200RPM, CREATIVE 16BIT COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD.

MOTHERBOARD MS 6340 ver 3, contain VIA OnBoard Sound.

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Has the motherboard had it?, could the harddrive be causing the problem?

Tough one, and I can't tell for sure. Mabye it is the power supply. It seems that years ago I had a similar problem on an old Packard Bell Legend computer. Replaced the power supply and everything was fine. Don't assume that it is the problem, but its something to look into.

... and yes the hard drive could be causing a problem.
any chance of getting another hdd?
Maybe a good idea to get something like nortons ghost too so you dont have to keep reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom