Computer restarting itself automaticly

Status
Not open for further replies.

acpmadness

Solid State Member
This is really weird, I got windows xp sp2. I go to shut down and everything shuts down and turns off. Then 2 to 60 seconds later it starts itself right back up again without me doing anything. The only thing I can think of it being is a problem with the power supply or motherboard. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanx

My specs:

Vantec sealth 520w
Asus P5AD2 Premium
P4 560 Precott 3.6ghz
OCZ PC2 4300 (DDR2 533mhz) 1gig (2x512) CAS 4-3-3-12
ATI X850 XT PE
WD Raptor 74Gig SATA HDD
Lite-On DVD CD-WR Combo drive

it could be the PSU, as its not a quality one. XP has a feature that causes it to auto restart when something goes wrong. this can be bad, as u wont see the blue screen of death to tell u the problem. Go to system properties, go to advanced, look for startup and recovery and click on settings. uner system failure, uncheck the box next to auto restart. then when u get ur blue screen of death, copy and paste what it says here.

Also, I have that same mobo. There is an option in the BIOS about what to do after power loss (restart or stay off). Go to:
Power menu->APM Configuritation and make sure "Restore on AC Power Loss" is set to [Power Off].

Overall, I would have to guess the root of the problem is the PSU.

also check in there to se if you have Power on Keyboard, or Wake On Lan possibly enabled, those would trigger the Power On the same way (if enabled disable those)

dhw200 said:
it could be the PSU, as its not a quality one. XP has a feature that causes it to auto restart when something goes wrong. this can be bad, as u wont see the blue screen of death to tell u the problem. Go to system properties, go to advanced, look for startup and recovery and click on settings. uner system failure, uncheck the box next to auto restart. then when u get ur blue screen of death, copy and paste what it says here.

OK, I did that and it started right back up after shutting down with NO blue screen error.

Also, I have that same mobo. There is an option in the BIOS about what to do after power loss (restart or stay off). Go to:
Power menu->APM Configuritation and make sure "Restore on AC Power Loss" is set to [Power Off].

It is set on off, so I guess that's not it.

ShadowFalls said:
also check in there to se if you have Power on Keyboard, or Wake On Lan possibly enabled, those would trigger the Power On the same way (if enabled disable those)

Their all disabled. Still did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom