Computer randomly shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borders

Beta member
Hello everyone, i apologize if this topic has already been posted although this is my first time here. About two weeks ago my computer has started to random shut off, i thought nothing of it the first couple of times but it seems to have gotten worse. I will hear a quiet, sometimes loud, 3 second beep through my headphones and the computer will completely shut off. Afterwards when i try to start it back up it will usually crash within a couple of seconds, sometimes it will continue to run for the majority of the day. It tends to be quite random, at times when i restart it it will not start up until i enter the bios, save it and leave. I've seen the CPU tempature peak at 185 F a couple of times, although i'm not exactly sure if that's normal or bad. Basically i'm seeking help to figure out of this is a hardware or software problem, and how i should go about fixing this. Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Sounds like you're trying to cook your CPU.

Open up your case and watch the heatsink fan. It sounds like it is either cutting out on you, or it is slowly dying and getting slower.

If you can tell that it is, get another HSF ASAP. Or you'll get the pleasure of having to buy one when you buy a new CPU to replace the one you just baked...

If my conversions are right, your CPU is running about 70C. Not good.

But your fans seem to be running fine.

When is the last time you cleaned out your computer? Blew it out and cleaned it really good? You could have a lot of dust built up in it, which can really drive up your temps.

You can get a can (or two) of compressed air at any computer store/ office supply/ WallyWorld for a few bucks.

Unplug your PC, open it up, ground yourself, wipe out what is sitting in the bottom. Blow out the case, in general. Then start blowing out the crevases. You probably need to take the fan off of your heatsink (not the heatsink off of your CPU, just unplug the fan and remove the four screws and take it off). Blow out your fans really good, as well as your heatsink.

Be sure not to tilt the can. You really don't want any moisture in there.

And be prepared for a mess if you have never cleaned your computer!

your fans are pretty damn loud (5000-7000rpm) and your cpu is overheating

try to use another comp (to avoid any more damage) while someone tries to help you solve this problem

Thanks for the tips, i guess it certainly is over heating, next step is to figure out why i suppose. Cleaning it out sounds like a good first step.

It can't hurt. It neds to be cleaned about twice a year, unless you like in a rather dusty area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom