Computer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DementedElf

Baseband Member
Building a new compy - pretty much set on what I want. I have my case picked out (Antec Sonata), and I am going to go with the Athlon64. My questions follow my mobo info.

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM
(limit 2 per customer)

AGP Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
DDR Standard: DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Dual Channel Supported: Yes
FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport
Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB
Number of DDR Slots: 4x 184pin DDR
PATA: 2 x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
PATA RAID: NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
PCI Slots: 5
# Model #: GA-K8NS-939

Ok, questions.

I'm probably only going to be able to afford 1GB of memory. My friend tells me that I should use 2 sticks of 512 to allow for duel channeling. So, I suppose my questions are:
1) OEM memory fine?
2) What's the difference between PC2700, PC3000, PC3200, etc?
3) What else do I need to know about memory to make a proper decision - ie: what parts of my mobo make a diff for the memory?

Help is greatly appreciated!

D~E

1) Yes, it is fine. OEM stuff comes with minimal documentation and packaging.

2) Those are just different speeds of RAM.

3) You already have everything you need to know. The RAM you will need to get is DDR (that uses 184 pins). If you are not going to overclock, then get valueram from corsair or kingston.

It's not worth your money at all to get 1600, 2100 or 2700 these days, aim to get PC3200 ONLY (For AMD DDR systems)

Corsair value ram is a good suggestions, it's cheap and OK ram

try to buy what is on the specs of your mobo... the higher end i mean not on the lower end.. also follow your friends advice dual channeling your ram will also increase your pc's performance..

yapeeyapee said:
try to buy what is on the specs of your mobo... the higher end i mean not on the lower end...

I'm not sure what is meant by this. Could you elaborate?

Thanks for all of the help provided thus far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom