Computer locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

flgirl

In Runtime
I have a friend that has a problem with her computer locking up while loading webpages. This is the second computer that it is happening with.
What is going on is she boots up the computer and gets online, everything seems to be fine for about 1/2 hour then it starts to lock up and wont load the website pages. I have just finished with F-disking and reformatting the computer and had it up and running for 36 hours everything was working great, she took it home and the computer works great till she gets online for longer than 30 45 minutes, and as I said earlier this is the second computer she has had this problem with.

System specs
AMD Athlon 1400 266mhz
256 ram
32 mg video card
Windows xp home

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this problem.

i saw this somewere...

If you're sick of a single Windows Explorer window crashing and then taking the rest of your OS down with it, then follow this tip: open My Computer, click on Tools, then Folder Options. Now click on the View tab. Scroll down to "Launch folder windows in a separate process," and enable this option. You'll have to reboot your machine for this option to take effect.
(after doing that, it will prolly stop windows from crashing, but i assume u will still need to ctl+alt+delete anything that locks up)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
u may wont to scan the comp for virus's/spywere. AVG is a free virus scanner, and Spybot Search & Destroy is a realy good free spywere scanner.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
did it still happen after updating windows?

i would recomend Mozilla/Firefox for webbrowsing.. LINK its free/better/faster/safer.

Mozilla does everything web related i think(i dont have it)
Firefox is a stripped version of mozilla for quick web browsing(i do have since i dont use it for anything but webbrowsing)

She uses mozilla and it only happens when she in online, I installed Spybot on her computer and she runs that often, also it has happened since she bought the computer new. nothing we have done has stopped it, windows updates are kept up and she has Norton system works and Internet security.

did u run scandisk? are paging files enabled? maybe u should try running memtest to see if the ram is good.

she is with road runner, cable, but it was happening with aol dial up before also. Being that is happened now on 2 computers I am just really confused. It locks up the whole computer and she needs to reboot then it will work again for a little while and then locks up again after about 30-40 minutes.

Shes obviously doing something wrong here. But i dont know what....You should make her fess. Its kind of funny for this this to be happening oon 2 ISP'S plus 2 Computers. Does she have Java installed? or any other plug in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom