Computer loads bios then black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

treelinegolfer

Beta member
My friends computer (Compaq Presario SR1033WM-B PC
Intel Celeron Processor 2.8 GHz 512 MB DDR SDRAM 80 GB hard drive Windows XP) recently started having problems. When you try and turn it on, the Compaq logo comes on, then the bios info, then everything goes black. The monitor is still on but nothing happens. Does this sound like a RAM problem? The hard drive works fine in my computer as a slave (he was paranoid about losing files). Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you...........

Reseat the memory, make sure that the case is dust free.

If there are 2 sticks of RAM, try 1 at a time. Try 1 in different slots.

Post back after you have tried all this.

First Mistake....you bought a Celeron
Second Mistake....you bought a Compaq

I'm sure there's hope.

If you think it is a ram problem, than download and run memtest86, to diagnose your ram.

Also Celerons are great.
And compaqs are great.

A custom built computer would of been better but the computer you have no is good.

First off, if you're unsure about what you're doing and the computer is still under warranty... don't do anything that involves opening the case. In most cases, opening the case for those crappy distributors (dell, gateway, compaq/hp, etc.) voids the warranty and a sticker is placed over the opening panel so they will know if you've opened it.

But yea, if you feel comfortable rooting around inside, it does sound like a memory problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom