computer identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalenhyde

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how computers are identified by web apps and web sites. A classic example would be signing up to play poker online. The downloaded software would probably include some unique identifier for the computer which dowloaded it. I'm talking about identifiers more complex than cookies, as these can be easily deleted. The dowloaded program would probably embed something which would be unique to your hardware configuration (i.e. something more than an IP address). Where would I be able to find some more info about computer identification on the internet, and does anybody know of other identification methods?

jalen

My guess is that it is probably related to the same thing that uniquely identifies a machine. When you set up a ghost, you have to remove the tag that you're talking about.

From what I've read, its the Machine ID that is assigned when you install windows. This ID is of a more permanent nature than an IP address.

Hope this helps.

Some Japanese people recently discovered a new way to identify any PC on the internet. I can't find the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom