Computer Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor -- Intel and AMD are the two major ones.
Motherboard -- needs to be compatible with your processor.
RAM -- DDR is the RAM of choice now days because of it affordability and stability. Has to be compatible with your Motherboard.
Case -- Used to hold the above components. They come in several shapes and colors. Needs to be compatible with your Motherboard, ie. ATX, Mico-ATX....
Video Card -- The thing that makes all of the pretty colors on the screen a.k.a The monitor (thanks to str8lazy)
Hard Drive -- Where software and data is stored. Really important if you want the PC to be functional. (thanks to sithspawn)

Those are the main things you need to build a computer. Everything else is extra. Now if you would like to be more specific about what you want your computer to do, I, and the rest of TF, may be able to help you better.

Video Card - The thing that makes all of the pretty colors on the screen a.k.a The monitor

Major video card manufacturers are nVidia and ATI

ATI all the way trust me

uumm...what about hard drive?? kind of an important one. Stores all your data. Comes in a few brands. Major ones include Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. I always use Western Digital and never had a problem.

haha. Also it is a good idea to get at least one optical drive (CD-Rom CD-RW or a DVD-RW) so you can install stuff. Also, i like to have a floppy drive installed just in case everything craps out and i need to use a good ol windows 98 boot disk :)

Thanks for the info....

First of all, consider all the best parts (including cheap prices) i would need to build standard regular computer. I want to use it for security purposes and maybe a little gaming, so it would need to have "i dont know how much space." In other words, a computer thats not so great, and not so bad.

About the specifics:

but which is better?

explain what you mean by "compatible with your processor"
and what are some good "types" or "brandnames" of motherboards

RAM -- DDR is the RAM of choice now days because of it affordability and stability. Has to be compatible with your Motherboard..

compatible... you really like that word dont you. name the RAM types compatible to the motherboards if thats the case

Case -- Used to hold the above components. They come in several shapes and colors. Needs to be compatible with your Motherboard, ie. ATX, Mico-ATX.....

Ill figure that one out...maybe leave my computer naked (hahaha!!!! funny!!)

Video Card -- The thing that makes all of the pretty colors on the screen a.k.a The monitor (thanks to str8lazy).

name the good

Hard Drive -- Where software and data is stored. Really important if you want the PC to be functional. (thanks to sithspawn)

different kinds as well???

Well thats about it for.... thanks for the help!!!

uumm...what about hard drive?? kind of an important one. Stores all your data. Comes in a few brands. Major ones include Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. I always use Western Digital and never had a problem.

When you get your HD you'll proabably want to stick with WD and Maxtor, because I know a few friends that have had their Seagate over heat and it destroyed everything that was saved, but I dont know if they have resolved that problem or what

but which is better?
Depends on what you want to do. For a gaming PC, go with Athlon. If its a workstation, go with Intel.

OK, processors are mostly all different. Each one attatches to the motherboard differently. For example the Athlon XP 2600+. To put that on a motherboard, it must be a "socket A" compatible motherboard. When looking for a motherboard you look for which socket it is, for athlon xp it would be socket A. Research whatever processor you're getting to find out what socket it is(its not hard).

Asus/Abit is most likely the most trusted brand names. Definently go with one of them(ASRock is good too, its a subcompany of Asus)

RAM -- DDR is the RAM of choice now days because of it affordability and stability. Has to be compatible with your Motherboard..

Well when you read a motherboard specs you need to see what type of memory it supports. It's pretty basic now, most are supporting up to PC3200 RAM. You need to find out how many DIMMs(slots) of RAM there are, then you can get that many sticks of RAM(getting just 1 stick is fine.).

Most brand-name RAM is compatible with all motherboards if it is PC3200 or lower, but some gerneric RAM types will ask for specific things that most motherboards do not have(like x4DRAM, 4 layer generic modules). Some RAM may even require a specific chipset.

my suggestion is 512mb PC3200 DDR400. Its cheap... and its good.

Case -- Used to hold the above components. They come in several shapes and colors. Needs to be compatible with your Motherboard, ie. ATX, Mico-ATX.....

:D

Video Card -- The thing that makes all of the pretty colors on the screen a.k.a The monitor (thanks to str8lazy).

I've tried both ATI and nVidia.. and my opinion is nVidia > ATI.

Yes theres a lot of different kinds..
Theres normal ATA hard drives(I suggest you go with this).. the ones connected by the normal ribbon cables(or rounded cables).

Theres SATA hard drives.. which I don't know about, but they are newer and much better.

the RPM of the hard drive is a big factor, definently get a minimum of 7200RPM. The higher the RPM, the more expensive...

go with Western Digital, I've never had any hassle with them and it's lasted for more than a year and a half now.

Oh, and you should also try to get 8mb cache on your hard drive... and somebody else can explain to him what EIDE/SCSI is im lazy and just wanna end this post..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom