Computer freezing up, then unfreezing every ~30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
While simply browsing the net my computer keeps freezing up for about 5 seconds, then unfreezing, and repeating every 15-30 seconds.
It does not seem to do this when I have Windows Task Manager open and selected, but otherwise all my programs are freezing.

I am also seeing a spike in CPU usage immediately after (the screen is frozen during the freeze) this happens, from around 4-10 percent to 100 percent.

I have updated virus protection software installed and the only recent downloads I've done were FastBurnIn and a number of other performance testing programs.

Last night my computer would simply hourglass and freeze whenever I tried to click an icon, so I turned it off for the night, and after about 15 minutes on the computer today this afternoon I got this.

Ideas?

*edit*
Computer froze at "Windows is now shutting down." screen so I hit the restart button. Freeze doesn't seem to be happening now but I'd still like any possible explanations or future plans of action.

When this happens, open up your task manager and go to the Processes Tab.

You will see a list of services and applications running. You will also see that amount of memory that each app. is using. Simply look for the highest one and keep it in mind.

Sometimes when the antivirus is doing a RTVscan (Real time virus scan) your computer slows to a crawl becuase it is usually setup to check files that are opened.. modified... saved.... loaded... moved... copied... etc.

Also, check your event logs to see if there is anything unusual happening.

did this problem just happen or was it always doing this? i think it is because of RAM going bad or your processor is heating up. see what happens when you use another brand of memory. also check your processor temps in BIOS or download motherboard monitor MBM

Also, check your properties -- settings for you color bit and resolution. Make sure the color bit is set to 16 bit or 32 bit. My browser was eating dirt with it set to 8 bit. How that happened is a mystery.

what is your OS?
and what programs are taking up most of the CPU time?
it is true some antivirus programs can slow down your PC, Norton does. that is why I use AntivirXP on my 500MHZ system, it is really fast, but very effective, and it's free to download.

I use Norton Antivirus, but my system can usually handle it, I mean everything is running fine now.

I have 2 different brands of RAM in my system but even the most recent stick has been there for a month or so.

I have the stock AMD fan/HS on an AMD Duron processor, an 80mm inlet fan and a 60mm exhaust fan in the case.
My display settings are at 32-bit.

Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom