Computer Freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexta182

In Runtime
I have a PC running windows xp pro sp2, Duron 800, 256Mb Ram, Gfmx400, DVD-RW. The problem is it will freeze up when Im watching dvd-movies, mpeg video files, ripping cd's, sometimes running office apps. I dont know what it is, I changed video card to see if one is over heating, checked the heat sinks to see if their untouchable, tried different ram, fomatted, reset bios, checked the CPU temp running at 40o.

Can any one help me out, does anyone think its the CPU being a pain?

Thanks

windows xp pro sp2 256Mb Ram it will freeze up when Im watching dvd-movies, mpeg video files, ripping cd's, sometimes running office apps
You see the 256 MG RAM...that's the problem, NOT the CPU...you don't have enough memory hardly to run XP MUCH LESS the rest of that. Liz

When I check the mem (ram) level under performace its running quite fine, so its not the ram size. XP will run fine on 256Mb ram, if i was running a large data base, or mini server then yes, more ram I would have.

Eh that computer is cutting it close to XP's specs

I can run XP on an AMD 2000 mobile underclocked to 400mhz without much freezing though

Eh that computer is cutting it close to XP's specs

I can run XP on an AMD 2000 mobile underclocked to 400mhz without much freezing though

According to www.microsoft.com you need 128 MG RAM for XP Pro ALONE and 64 MG RAM for SP2, that adds up to 192 MGS RAM for JUST your O/S not including ANYTHING else you have running. Subtract 192 from 256 and than find out how much it needs to run some of those apps you want to run. Office requires: 128 MB of RAM or more...is it any wonder your system crashes. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom