Computer Freezing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmedcharmer

Beta member
Hi, good day! Im kinda seeking help about my computer which happens freeze. Usually when I play games my computer freezes (lockdown, you cannot move the mouse, no Ctrl + Alt + Del also), even the smallest games make computer freeze, even bejeweled! It happens after a short period but the time is varying, sometimes it's just a few minutes, sometimes a longer than 15 minutes. In short it varies.

Ive looked on several threads and they are always pointing two possible culprits: Overheating and Low Power Supply.

One more problem is that when I try to burn a VCD (not copy) i also freeze. I really do think its a hardware problem because Ive already formatted my hardrive and still receiving the same results. Lately I havent tried games yet.

I considered the possibility of Overheating, so I removed the side cover of my PC and put a fan directly blowing to my PCs interior. So far I received improveed performance in speed and everything. I even tried burning and it didnt freeze. The second time I burned a VCD, I received a freeze again. So Im thinking maybe I also need to do something with my power supply.

Yet I still want to confirm so other possible culprits. I have some questions:

1. Could it be my motherboard? My motherboard was replaced a year ago.
2. Could it be my processor? My processor is running 1.60 mhz AMD.
3. Could I be lacking memory? My memory is 512 MB and i think its only SDR. Coz I bought my PC as a package, I have little information with my memory and motherboard.
4. Could it be my harddisks? Im have two 40 GB drives.
5. Could it be my video card? GeForce MX 200 64 MB. Could it be that its really obsolete? I also did some updating of drivers as other threads susggested but my problem still exists.
6. Could it be that my CPU fans is already damaged, but even so I already opened the casing and blow directly a fan to it.
7. Or could it really be my power supply.

Could you answer my questions? I just needed to know the source of my problem before I upgrade. Im planning an upgrade, replacing most of the vital parts like processor, motherboard and memory.

I really need somebody's opnion. thanks a lot guys! thank you!

1. Ya, it could be. I would suspect if you had a bad setting in CMOS setup, it could cause instability. An example of a bad setting would be an overclocked FSB with a 1:1 FSB:SPD ratio to RAM that cant be overclocked.

2. If it had anything to do with your CPU, it would be overheating, or improper overclocking.

3. I dont see a problem there. 512MB is plenty.

4. If you HDs are really really full, or really fragmented and cant feed data to the RAM fast enough, then that can cause instability.

6. I doubt that your vid card would cause problems while burning a CD.

7. PSU problems usually cause random reboots/shutdowns, no matter what you are doing....no freezing.

I mostly suspect overheating of your CPU. Read my guide at the top of this forum on random reboots. I know you arent rebooting, but the overheating section still applies to you:D

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom