computer 'expansion' question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said:
@ Little a,

You said it was slow of late... Have you pulled any maintenance of your lappy to keep it up to speed?

i should really clarify.. my pc's performance has been constant all these years, even now it does what it used to do. i don't really do much beyong word processing so it's not a problem.

lately, however, i've started ripping cd's. one day i compared the ripping speed to my friends apple notebook and his was twice as fast and it's not even a fast one. mine rips at 5x-6x which isn't bad but not what i'd like either. hence the problem.

i've been reading the forum and i think the cheaper, most pragmatic way to do it would be to build a pc with a faster processor to handle the ripping and leave the notebook for fieldwork.

unless adding some memory (not much since i only have room for another 128MB) and doing the external HD thing would really make a difference in ripping speed.

btw, thanks for the recommendations. i constantly check my system for viruses and defragment regularly.

a

straightv6 said:
i would personally build a desktop. do you have a monitor?

yup. i have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. even if its more money (something like $500-600), it seems to make much more sense than continuing to flog my notebook. i have access to software so i wouldn't have to spend money on that.

a

win 2k is VERY stable, it has 4 Service packs out

Windows XP is a resource hog... and in my opinion microsoft likes to stick its fingers everywhere... ive had quite a few problems with it... not only at home but at school etc....

XP has had quite a few problems. When microsoft released it, they released it with so many holes it looked like swiss cheese. it was all 2 ez for hackers to infiltrate and design hackers to fit specificlly through those holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom