computer engineering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexqd3

In Runtime
Ok I am done with my first year of college, and i'm changing my major to computer engineering, and I wanted to know which books should i start reading, and what websites are good to check. I know this is a competetive major thats why I want to be ahead so i can get good from now. Thanks in advance

Which area of computer engineering are u interested in?

1) Software
- databases
- reliable systems
- distributed networks
- AI
2) Hardware
- VLSI
- photonics
- filters
- nano
3) Communications
- wired/wireless channels
4) Signal processing
- pattern recognition/classification
- data mining, etc.

Too many to list man. What's the area u want to get into?

Probably not all. They probably won't try to cram all that crap into you in 4 years :p.. Don't get me wrong, you will probably take 1 course or touch upon all these subjects at some stage. But, you probably won't cover all of them to sufficient detail.

It's a good idea to know what u want early on - if u can. If it's hardware, you need a good solid math background too. You are still pretty early in ur program, so work towards that first. Calculus, statistics, etc. And semiconductor theory, different transforms like Fourier and Wavelets (you'd be surprised how many people do them but don't understand what they mean), and of course electronics, system modelling, etc.

If you are going into Photonics and such, might want to take some courses from the physics department too. I'll tell u one thing. The "computer engineering" department will not offer u the greatest and latest courses on all subjects - they will give it to u from an engineering viewpoint. But, if you ever want to go to grad school, this is not enough. If you have a math or physics faculty on ur campus, take their courses too if you can.

As for books, you should check out the book requirements in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year courses in ur university. When u have a solid background, you can go into whatever field you want into when u get into 3rd/4th year.

Just out of curiosity, what University do u go to? :)

Chankama said:
Probably not all. They probably won't try to cram all that crap into you in 4 years :p.. Don't get me wrong, you will probably take 1 course or touch upon all these subjects at some stage. But, you probably won't cover all of them to sufficient detail.

It's a good idea to know what u want early on - if u can. If it's hardware, you need a good solid math background too. You are still pretty early in ur program, so work towards that first. Calculus, statistics, etc. And semiconductor theory, different transforms like Fourier and Wavelets (you'd be surprised how many people do them but don't understand what they mean), and of course electronics, system modelling, etc.

If you are going into Photonics and such, might want to take some courses from the physics department too. I'll tell u one thing. The "computer engineering" department will not offer u the greatest and latest courses on all subjects - they will give it to u from an engineering viewpoint. But, if you ever want to go to grad school, this is not enough. If you have a math or physics faculty on ur campus, take their courses too if you can.

As for books, you should check out the book requirements in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year courses in ur university. When u have a solid background, you can go into whatever field you want into when u get into 3rd/4th year.

Just out of curiosity, what University do u go to? :)

Thanks alot! I suck at math though so i guess i need a tutor fast! Right know i am at a 2 year community college, and after my 2 years i plan to go to FIU in Florida. Thanks for the advice!

Sport1031 said:
I'm taking calculus

good luck man! i bad at math i i hope that does mess up my future with computers :(

i really wanna talk to someone who is an Computer Engineer already.

What profession would that be dude? As in a full-time job? I started Grad school this year - right after undergrad. Damn it. Should've worked for a bit first. I am poor :(

Hee hee, well hate to break it to you but if thats what you want to major in you'd better get used to math, lots and lots of it.The good news is the math classes pretty much stop after you learn controls and laplace transforms, once you can write equations that describe the operation of complex circuits they leave you alone math wise.A lot of this will depend on what discipline you choose to follow(if you make it), it will need to match what area you want to pursue, and the real education starts after college, most companies will send you right back to school again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom