Computer crashes sporadically

Status
Not open for further replies.

igaboj

Beta member
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and I really need help right now. My system (first one I built myself) keeps shutting itself off at no particular moment. Sometimes, I'll turn on the computer, and it'll shut down right after the BIOS checks the Ram, HD, floppy and CD drive. Sometimes it'll shut down 3 seconds after i turn it on, sometimes 3 hours, or while browsing online, or watching a movie, or gaming, or... well you get the idea. The strange thing is; when the computer shuts itself off; it doesn't restart AND the light on the switch remains on, even though the computer is off. If I successfully start up my computer again, and load windows XP, no error message (i.e "This system has recovered from a serious error") is displayed.. when normally, upon a crash, I get that error message and the option to report it to Microsoft

I was thinking it might be the power supply.. but I really have no clue. Help please? :(. I think I have eliminated heat as a problem however, I check the temperature through the bios, and everything seems to be fine, running around 105 F after a bit of use.

Specs of my system:
P4 3.0 ghz, 1mb cache, 800 mhz FSB, Socket 775
ECS mobo, Intel 915P-A chipset, and PCI express
ATI Radeon 9000 pro, 128 mb
1 stick PC2700 DDR Kingston Value RAM
1 stick PC3200 DDR Kingston Value Ram
160 gb Seagate HD
Hauppage TV tuner
Windows XP (clean version)

Thx for for your assistance.

Yeah, it is most likley the PSU causing the problem. What one do you have, as if it is a generic make, than it doesn't surprise me at all. There is only one other thing that it could be and that is the motherboard, as it isn't that great of a company. but you should still get a new PSU anyway, as you haven't mentioned it, so I assume its a generic one.

Your best bet would be put it in the bin and get a new one, from a good make. Thermaltake is the ceapest one that I would even consider, and are very good. Alot of people here use them, with no problems. They cost $50 on newegg. If you have a bit more money, Antec, OCZ and enermax are the iceing on the cake. With OCZ being a cherry. :p

My PSU is made by MGE.. which I presume is a pretty damn sh-tty company and makes rubbish PSU's and cases (Mine cost me $15 dollars for the PSU and case though). Thanks for the advice mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom