Computer Crashed... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Computer Crashed...

Yesterday, I tried to install windows xp on my computer because i had a virus, suddenly a screen says missing a .dll file and the windows installer couldnt finish. Everytime i restart my computer it asks for the Windows cd, and it must be the one that was missing the dll file. I tried to install windows xp like 9 times and each time it said the same thing about 29 minutes after installation. I Cant install windows or use the computer cuz i don't have a os. Someone please help me...

Ati 9600xt 256mb
W.D. 120GB 7200 8mb
Old 05-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Also, on my other computer, the DVD and cd rom drive isn't on My computer, I tried to use the Device Manager thing that people told me but that still doesnt work. I have a IDE cable connected to both drives, and also a power cable is connected. THe drives work, because i toke it off my old computer.

Ati 9600xt 256mb
W.D. 120GB 7200 8mb
Old 05-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

A different disk might help... the particular disk might be faulty. However, have you already (sucessfuly) used the XP disk?
If so, then try to do a clean install (i.e. delete all the partitions and start afresh).

If this doesn't work, then I recomend a different OS (Linux ).
Can be downloaded for free as well, and is soooo much betr.
_____
In the case of the drives... have you checked that they are in the correct mode (jumpers on the back of the drive). Make sure one of them is set to master, and the other, slave.
Also, make sure that your BIOS is able to detect the drives (or else your OS won't stand a chance).
Once this is checked, then the drives should appear automatically in My Computer.

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Closed Thread