Computer building Problem from HELL - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer building Problem from HELL

Ok, about a month ago, my computer became almost impossible to boot up. I was using a 400w power supply, Athlon 3000+ cpu, KH8T motherboard (I think), 2 512mb 400mhz Kingston RAM dimms, and a last gen Radeon video card. When I booted the computer, it would power up and run for a few moments, then just shut off. Sometimes it would happen within seconds, sometimes I could get into the bios and tool around for a minute, sometimes I could even get into windows before it shut off.

In order to beat the problem, I tried repeatedly hitting the power button, flipping the power supply on/off switch, holding in the reset button as I hit the power button (system wouldn't load, but the system WOULD power up without shut-off untill I released the reset button- fans running the whole time). Occassionally I could successfully get the computer to boot into windows, and stay running.... however by the time I would come back from work - it'd be off.

So a friend comes by, asks me to build a computer for his other friend. I agree, and within half an hour I'm loaded with a bunch of really nice parts, and am told as payment I can swap out parts of his that are better than mine with my parts (3000+ athlon becomes 3400+ (both socket 754), power supply becomes 550w, video card becomes Radeon X700, Motherboard becomes an NF8 series abit board). I get it all set up and the problem persists. HOW?!?! Theres none of the same components! I even have a brand new DVD-R in there! It's like a brand new computer, only this time it doesnt even power-on for a few seconds.

It just clicks on, fans turn on, and not even a full second later it's off again. If I hold in the power button, it rapidfire starts and stops. The red LED showing the mobo is recieving power is ON at all times, the green LED showing system on will flash with each boot attempt. This new power supply does not have an on/off switch, so I cant use that.

In frustration, I decided to build the friends PC. After getting it all set and ready to go, well... same thing. Same EXACT thing. I can't believe it. Could it have something to do with the power supplies or power cords? the electrical outlets on the walls all read 15a 150w...

If anyone has any info, I'd be VERY grateful. thank you

Update: I'm thinking since the only thing that makes any sense is perhaps the power in our barraks building is wonky, and it isn't getting enough/steady stream of power from the wall. Going to buy a UPS and some batteries for my multimeter after I get released from work...

Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Good idea. Definitely want to check the line voltage form your outlets. It's hard to imagine that two completely reconfigured puters whould share the same problem scenario. Like to know what you find out!!

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

I've read a post almost identical to this in the past? hmmm...
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it has to be the whole building's power or something, because my suite-mate has moved out of his barraks room (left his bathroom door unlocked), so I tried the computers in there - same problem. However, I havn't seen anyone else running around griping about their computers not working.

I am also going into withdrawel, which is bad because I'm in the army and deal with enough stress as it is.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just bought a UPS power supply/battery backup for my PC and installed it. Didn't work.

I'm about to completely give up, and say goodbye to computers for the rest of my life.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to timmer

yea try anothe outlet
Intel p4 HT 3.0GHz
1 16x Toshiba dvd burner
2 sticks of corsair ddr2 533mhz 512mb
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
480W thermaltake
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've tried two seperate outlets in my room, all the outlets in my suitemates room next door, and an outlet in my friends room who lives downstairs a floor. No dice.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

go to your neighbors and ask if you can borrow an outlet fro 10 min

If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread