Computer Building Help - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

i like your setup, but go with corsair xms series ram, and get 2 sata 36gb 10,000 rpm hard drives. i would recommend wd raptors. configure them in a raid0 array and that machine will be SMOKIN. your hard drive and ram are the only two bottlenecks in that system, and if you do what i said then they wont be bottlenecks anymore. buy it all from newegg because newegg has excellent prices, excellent shipping, and is just an all-around reputable retailer. you could save a few bucks using another site but it might be a mislabedled product, it might have extra shipping costs, etc. newegg all the way.

edit: and that case is good. dont go with a smaller case, that case is excellent and will have great airflow.

<font size=1 color=red>
<b>Main System</b>
-Mach Speed X-Caliber PT800DBP Mobo (POS!!)
-Pentium 4 3.0C at stock w/ SP-94 & YS Tech Fan
-Thermaltake 420 Watt Power Supply
-Kingston 512 MB Dual Channel PC3200
-512 MB Kingmax Hardcore PC4000
-GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Card | Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
-WD Caviar SE 160GB HD 7200 RPM/8 MB/ATA-100
-Nec DVD Burner, 32x16x40 CD-RW, 8x4x12x DVD±RW</font>
<font size=1 color=black>
<b>Dell XPS T700r</b>
-PIII 700Mhz | 20GB Maxtor | 384 MB SDRAM | NEC DVD-ROM | 32MB NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model64
Old 06-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

you dont need two hard drivers to store important data....thats the magic of partitioning. When installing XP (on your 1 80 gig hard drive (much much much cheaper than 2 40's)) just partition a section for your os and for your important data. that way, when you reformat, the partition with all your stuff stays there.
I would definately go with AMD for gaming, and definately Corsair XMS.

By the way, if you get 2 SATA hard drives, setup RAID1 instead of RAID0. THEN your puter will be awesome

Old 06-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hmm ok. What is the difference between RAID 0 and 1? Like I said before, this is my first time building a computer so I'm not exaclty up on all these terms. And If I were to go with an AMD, what are some good processors/boards? Because I'm used to Pentium because that's what Gateway and Dell sell (What I'm on now).
Old 06-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Wartorment

Originally posted by majistic
wow 10 bays. you dont need that many.
Look at the case, you tard, it has like 4 cdrom drive bays, 2 floppy drive bays, and 4 HDD bays, you know, people have 2 gigs of RAM, it's not neccessary, but it helps, and it's a bit of future-proofing, why don't you actually look for pictures of the thing before you say something? Also, who are you to tell him what he does and does not need?

This is the one I have:

I think 0 is dual storage and 1 is mirroring (constant backup), pretty sure it's the other way around though.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I looked at some AMD Motherboards and Processors. Is this a good combination?

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor

Also, I looked into some XMS RAM. I think I found some good stuff...

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Once again, thanks for all of your help .

Closed Thread