Computer boot up time

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I know this is about computers but I couldn't find a better place for it.

Anyways, most computers have a boot up time around 30 seconds, some longer, some shorter. Wouldn't it be nice if within a few seconds of hitting the power button, you were up and running? Do you think it will ever be like that in the near future? I have always wondered about this and I get asked by my family why it takes so long to boot up.

When SSD's become the standard boot times will be a lot faster but I think were still far from just hitting the power button and being up and running, although I will be excited when that happens.

It takes so long to boot cause it has to boot everything from the Kernel to the drives for all the devices to the GUI which you see and use. While SSD's will make it faster, until we get away from the concept of using the method for OS's that we have now we will never have instant on.

I have a 60GB OCZ Vertex, running windows 7 64 bit and it still takes at least 30 seconds from hitting the button to get to the windows logon screen.
I suppose that is normal though.

Yes that is normal. Again it has to load the kernel which runs the OS itself, then it has to load your drivers for your devices attached, then it finally has to load the user interface. All of which takes time. If you have a lot of devices attached it could take longer. But you are looking at roughly 30 seconds no matter if you have a SSD, SATA, or any other drive in use. Cant load all of that in a instant. Not even Linux boots that fast.

Yes that is normal. Again it has to load the kernel which runs the OS itself, then it has to load your drivers for your devices attached, then it finally has to load the user interface. All of which takes time. If you have a lot of devices attached it could take longer. But you are looking at roughly 30 seconds no matter if you have a SSD, SATA, or any other drive in use. Cant load all of that in a instant. Not even Linux boots that fast.
Ah cool, I have a better understanding of this now. I guess SSDs only really shine when the OS is up and running.

I havent heard of it yet. If so then it has to be a Distro that has a small kernel like DSL or Puppy Linux. Those will boot faster than say Windows. But for main stream distros and Windows you are looking at almost 30 seconds. Some more, some less. All because of the stuff it has to boot.

I think what Lex was talking about is some lappys that feature instant video capabilities without being booted up. They basically are hardwired into the lappy and are not driven by an OS per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom