compressed my c drive now windows wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbudgethero

Beta member
not sure if this is in the right topic

like the subject said i was compressing my drive and it said that there is a drive error and i should use scandisk, but i cant get into windows becasue i guess that was part of the drive that was messed up
the following appers now when i start the computer

starting windows 95

drive space found a problem on compressed drive C
to correct problem, type scandisk C: at hte command prompt

the startup process will continue after 30 seconds...
(30 seconds later)

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

the following files is missing or corrupted WIN.COM

cannot find WIN.COM unable to continue loding Windows

then it goes to the ms dos promt
i tried typing scandisk C: but i guess that isnt the command prompt?

well if you can help id really appreciate it

hmm, are u on 98/Me?

why did u need the disk compression?

anyway, the command prompt looks like

C:\> and you cannot use commands like, scandisk C:, though you can use command like, as if your system has already DOS commands in it, then use:

assuming u r on C:\> already, just write scandisk, if still u dont have scandisk command in ur drive, then let me know, i'll uplod it for u on web, and u can download it later from there.

well im not on that computer right now i use that computer to store songs and whatnot

that computer is a win 95 (ancient haha) it has scan disk but i cant even get into windows and by typing in "scandisk" nothing happens

your base must be then DOS, anyway, i'll upload 2 files that are:

HIMEM.SYS and SCANDISK.EXE from my fresh DOS, to my server, you can download them from:

HIMEM.SYS

SCANDISK.EXE

click on links, and save them to ur h/d, copy them to ur C: of pc, and see if they work.

how can i copy them to my c drive i cant even get onto the internet with that computer

could i boot them with a floppy disk?

copy these on the PC u are on, then use floppy, and save them on ur that non-working PC, see if it works.

dont worry about the files, they'll be up there for long time.

Take out your HD and hook it up externaly to another PC. Backup data and then format. Thats the easy way. Or try using 98 bootdisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom