Compatability: IBM and Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So I just got this new Dell laptop, nothing special, but it is just for school to take notes and stuff. however, it only has 256mb RAM, and it shows! so i have this IBM Thinkpad, which has the same type of DDR in it. I know that sometimes companies like that are anal and only support proprietary stuff, I was wondering if anyone knew of such a thing between Dell and/or IBM. Think it would work to take the 256 out of the IBM and slap it in the Dell for 512? The Dell has one "User Accessible", as they call it, RAM slot, so I could throw it in that.

Yeah, that is true, that is what I was saying to myself too. But I talked with a guy at my work, and he said it wouldnt work. Those companies, thats what they do. But he told me to go to Crucial, who supplies memory to Dell, and they will hook me up with the right stuff.

256MB PC2700 SoDIMM (the exact model in my Dell) for $34 w/ free shippping. Damn good price if you ask me. I was looking at $50 or $60 on Newegg and ZZF.

What Crucial does is they buy in MASSIVE bulk from bigger manufactreres (Kingston, Corsair, etc...) and they simply repackage them and sell them with their name on it at a lower price. This is completely legal, and is quite a common practice in industries. Kingston dosent care, what they arent selling to customers, they are selling to Crucial and making plenty!

Seriously, dude, all you can do is stick it in and see what happens. Like SHAWN said, if it doesn't work, you'll know right away.

Check newegg before you buy from crucial. a 256 DDR266 stick on crucial.com was $37 plus $3 tax plus $3 shipping. Newegg was $27 plus $3 shipping.

I am pretty sure it will work providing that they have a speed they can both run at and the pin size fits in the laptop. You should be good if so.

Ahh yes, so it was only $28 at newegg. My entire order came out to $34 (I dont get charged tax on online orders in Mass, kinda strange, I think they are looking to change that) so it would come out to $31. Me, $3 difference, not that much.

And for 3$ it's guartneed compatable

I thought crucial was making alot of their own memory though..

That is correct, $3 for knowing it is the EXACT memory I need. Guaranteed! I've paid alot more money for something because I knew that it was EXACTLY what I needed and wasnt the wrong thing. People wonder why I will spend the extra money, and i tell them that, and it shuts them right up.

Crucial may be making alot of their own now, not sure. This is what I heard from him, and they always buy their memory from Crucial and not Dell because Dell takes the already relabeled Crucial memory and re-relabels it with their label and kicks the price in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom