Compaq restarting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrusso86

Beta member
I reprogrammed a friends compaq computer. I also threw in another 256 mb of memory. Now it randomly restarts with no definite program relation. So I removed the memory, but it still does it. Then it seemed to be then whenever the computer was under load,(gaming,video playback,etc.) it would restart. The internal temperature of the computer was only 39 C', but the onboard video card was too hot to touch after shuuting down. So I replaced the video wit a 4X AGP Nvidia MMX 400 64 mb card. Now the restarting occurs less often, but still happens. It still seems like something is getting too hot, because it happens under load or if the computer is on for a long time. Any clues? Could it be the BIOS, or some other part of the motherboard. I've worked with computers for 4 years. This is my first stumper!!!!!!

Take it down to bare minimum....you want to go as low as what will work. Strip it of it's cd-rw/dvd/floppy. Take out all but ONE stick of memory. If you have on board sound and a sound card, take the sound card out and use the on board sound. When you have it down to literally bare bones, see if it will work and then start adding back ONE item at a time. When you get to the point where something *craps* it out, you've found the culprit. You might also what to check the power supply. Make sure you use a generic mouse and keyboard, not a wireless or optical.

Take notes every step of the way and post back your results. Liz

you did what? :freak: you reprogrammed it? what *exactly* did you repgrogram? it sounds a little like the PSU, but could also be mobo or BIOS, or whatever the heck you programmed... :freak:

Then he needs to look at the power supply first, the hard drive, if he has another computer to stick it into to test it, then the mobo. Liz

if I remember correctly those old compaq didn't like pc 133 ram. you would get errors and random restarts. but you wouldn't have this problem with pc100 ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom