Compaq ProLiant ML350 G1 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedougster

Baseband Member
I have an old Compaq ProLiant ML350 G1 server http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10492_div/10492_div.HTML
I am looking to use this server as a home PC for storage and video editing etc. At present it has the hot swappable drives. I am looking to add some additional storage to this machine. I know it has 7 free SCSI cables inside however I can't afford the SCSI drives so I am looking to use an IDE drive. I just dont know if this is possible or not. Could I just mount an IDE drive somewhere (cant find a proper mounting point) inside the casing and conect it up to one of the IDE cables?

Also I don't know whether to install XP or 2000. I know 2000 suports raid controlers but does XP? If it doesn't do you think it would be best to just take out the raid controler and hot drives? To be honest I don't need the RAID security as I don't do anything that important on the machine.

Thanks for any help anyone has

Dougie

yes XP does support RAID controllers, just don't use software RAID, use hardware RAID as it is much more reliable

also, if your motherboard has any IDE slots, you should see them
they should be labelled IDE 0 or 1 or something similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom