Compaq Hard Drive Replacement Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fslaugts

Beta member
I am new to computers and this forum. I was trying to replace myCompaq Presario 7000 model 7AP170 with a new Hard Drive. There is nothing wrong with my old 45 GB., but I wanted to replace it with the WESTERN digital 80GB on sale at Best Buy for 19.99 after rebates. I did some research. I made a Bootable Diskette. I was able to format the new Hard Drive. But then I got stuck. I was never able to make the computer read my recovery disc. Compaq said go in to Bios change Boot order to cd -rom. That did not work. Another Tech said "As you replaced new hard drive,
there would not be factory.pqi and hence getting the error. The
computer cannot be restored to the factory default condition using the
Recovery CD.
I need to purchase a new version of windows and drivers to fix the problem.
Can anyone help. I do not want to spend money on this old computer.
Thank you
Fred

I do not have an extra bay. Both are being used. I would need to research the Master Slave procedure for installing a new Hard Drive.
Thanks
Fred

check to make sure your jumper settings are right on your HD. you either want cable select or master. i use master. also check to make sure the disk isnt damaged that could also be a problem. do u have another computer that you could hook it up to and try it.

The 7AP170 has another bay, the question is do you have something in it that you temp remove and install the second drive. Then install the new drive as either the secondary or primary on the other IDE channel. From Windows, format and partition the new hard drive. Now use a cloning program, such as Ghost or whichever you prefer and clone the master drive to your new drive. By the way, 45 Gig to 80 Gig isn't a real big jump these days unless you are going to keep the 45 Gig installed also and yes $19.99 is a good price; so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom