compaq armada 7400 doesn't power off

Status
Not open for further replies.

effendi

Beta member
Hi,
my good old Compaq Armada 7400 doesn't power off when I use the command "shut down"... it only restarts.
Has anyone an idea about how I could make it completely shut down?
thanks
effendi

remove the battery? what battery mrdinkel? :(

there are 3 ways to force it to shut off:

hold the power button down for 10 seconds or flick the main power switch to zero from one(0/I) assuming you have a power switch at all. lastly you can forcefully pull off the power cord from the power supply.

if you are getting power shutdown failure when this used to work before it is because the operating system is hanging while trying to close down an application or system service.

i think you might have a program conflicting with the shutdown procedure. you will need to open a run box and type in "msconfig" and see what is in your boot list. check off anything suspicious in "startup" and see if it solves the shutdown problem.

thank you to both of you for the reply (even if josh should think of something more constructive.. :p)
but the problem seems somehow more relying on a hardware problem.
I meant : instead of powering off at the very end of the shutdown process (it goes to the whole black screen without any problem), the computer starts again, and the nice "Compaq" start screen appears with a little bip.
Maybe something in the BIOS fails to physically command the powering off, or it's the hardware itself that is broken... I really don't know, that's why I ask you!
Thanks anyway

effendi

ps : and it hasn't been a year I didn't powered it off... I know how to force it. Thanks Josh anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom