combo drive and dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombat12

Beta member
Hi my question is I have a liteon combo drive and a LG dvd burner. Can I put them on the same ide cabel or just one of them. at the moment i have a dvd-rom and dvd burner on the same ide cable,and my liteon combo drive stored away. what do you think.

I'm not 100% sure about this so please don't quote me on it :p.

Anyways I think it would be better if you set your DVD burner on the same ide cable as your HD and your combo drive on the other IDE channel. I believe that with the dvd burner and combo drive on the same channel it might make it run slower than what it really should.

Again I'm not sure on this hopefully someone more intelligent can clarify.

Thank you for your replies to my question. I will put the combo drive and dvd burner on the same ide cable. I had the chance to look at a friends set up that he brought from a computer store. It had a hard drive on one ide cabel and cdrom with a dvd combo drive on the other ide, the cdrom as master and dvd combo drive as slave. thank you all again for your replies.

Wensicia said:
I'm not 100% sure about this so please don't quote me on it :p.

Anyways I think it would be better if you set your DVD burner on the same ide cable as your HD and your combo drive on the other IDE channel. I believe that with the dvd burner and combo drive on the same channel it might make it run slower than what it really should.

Again I'm not sure on this hopefully someone more intelligent can clarify.

do this will actually slows up your dvd burner

for optium performance dvd burner needs to be a master just as your Os hard drive

Well i have 2 HD's on IDE1 and a cd-burner as the master on IDE2 and a dvd-rom as the slave on IDE2 and it works all perfectly and I've noticed no slow down from anything, but your devices could easily be different and could also perform better under different set ups

wombat12 said:
Hi my question is I have a liteon combo drive and a LG dvd burner. Can I put them on the same ide cabel or just one of them. at the moment i have a dvd-rom and dvd burner on the same ide cable,and my liteon combo drive stored away. what do you think.

Call me old fashion, but I tend to keep both my optical drives on seperate IDE Channels.
My current set up is :-
PRIMARY MASTER :- Seagate 40Gb
PRIMARY SLAVE :- LG 16x DVD
SECONDARY MASTER :- Seagate 200Gb
PRIMARY SLAVE :- PIONEER 107D

I have found that some onboard RAID/ATA Controllor might not like optical drives. (This is when you have them set to ATA, not RAID) I had no luck getting my onboard RAID/ATA Controllor detecting any optical driver. However i have had luck with Hard Drives.
And yet, i have seen others (like my boss's PC) where the onboard RAID/ATA will detect Optical drive.
So I normally don't waste my time on connecting burners or CD rom up to RAID/ATA Channel unless I really have too.

Just a dumb question.... but why do you have a combo drive and DVD Burner. A DVD Burner will burn CDs too.

It burns cds and rip dvds quicker (dvd combo and dvd burner), that is my set up on my computer downstairs

I use to always set my dvd burner as slave and dvd rom as master just so they would show up on my comp as drives d and e.

all dvd burner manuals tell me otherwise, but i was like, if it ain't broke don't fix it

however my new dvd burner (pioneer dvr A07 same as yours) was moving a lot slower when i set it up like my others 2 comp. but when I put it as master the problem went away

I once again thank you all for your input to my question. To the dumb question I kept my combo drive when I upgraded and brought dvd burner to make or atempt to make dvd movies from my video camera. Today I asked a computer shop owner the same question and he replied if you put dvd burner or combo drive on the same ide cabel as the hard drive it would slow down the hard drive, and if you put the combo and dvd burner on the same ide cable that would be ok, but burning dvd at max speed would be hard. so thank you all for your replies.

just to point out, dont put the optical drive on with the HD IDE because it will slow the HDD performance due to the slower throughput of the optical drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom