College Student Selling Computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFMEisCool

Beta member
Hey guys, I'd like to get responses -- polling in other words -- whether you would be interested in the computers (hypothetically if you were on campus) I'm selling, and whether you think my computers I'm selling are at a decent price. I'm hoping that some other students are interested in buying specialized gaming computers...

Note : These computers would be *new* and built from the ground up, so please weigh that factor in with your responses.

For example:

AMD 64 3400+,Abit KV8Pro KT800 Motherboard, 200 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard-drive, 1 GB Corsair pc3200 Memory, Powercolor 9800Pro 128mb, Windows XP Home Edition, 19" Dell Flat CRT monitor, and a Aluminum 550watt power supply with clear side-window, 4 Blue LED fans, Cold Cathode light, DVD+CD-RW Burner, and 1.44 floppy drive.

I offer other services on campus to make the deal more enticing, such as...

1. FREE Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware protection.
2. FREE Home or dorm computer installation.
3.Games at cheap prices, installed, optimized, and ready-to-play instantly.
4. Over-clocked CPU, memory, and 9800Pro for higher performance than standard company parts.
5. Buyer can customize case any way they like, color case, extra fans, heatsink, etc.
6. The entire computer is tested before hand and the buyer is required to do no installation of any kind by themselves.

I'm planning to sell the above computer for $1,199.
:D

If i didnt build my PC i would be intrested

However 6600GT > 9800Pro and their same price.

Also, is that SKT 754 or 939? If it's 939, how do you still get 3400's?

Dude, that is a damn good deal. That comp costs about 1200 WITHOUT the 19" monitor. If I had that much in my paypal I'd ask for your phone number and order one.

most college students are on tight budgets, you need to get your cost down significantly. You would have a better chance if you strip the computer down to only bare essentials (i.e exclude monitor, use an IGP mobo, search for bulk discounts on parts, etc). I would think you need to get the total cost down to $300-400. on a more pratical side of things selling computers is a waste of time and effort. you will make hardly any money off this.

its one thing to be interested in computers, but if you look at the business opportunities of trying to sell complete computer systems...it is not feasible unless you are able to secure bulk low cost parts from a distributor. many small and mid-size computer store owners in my area have gone out of business. mostly because of large chain companies like best-buy. they cannot compete with those prices. another alternative is to sell your labor and not the hardware itself.

BFMEisCool said:
Hey guys, I'd like to get responses -- polling in other words -- whether you would be interested in the computers (hypothetically if you were on campus) I'm selling, and whether you think my computers I'm selling are at a decent price. I'm hoping that some other students are interested in buying specialized gaming computers...

Note : These computers would be *new* and built from the ground up, so please weigh that factor in with your responses.

For example:

AMD 64 3400+,Abit KV8Pro KT800 Motherboard, 200 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard-drive, 1 GB Corsair pc3200 Memory, Powercolor 9800Pro 128mb, Windows XP Home Edition, 19" Dell Flat CRT monitor, and a Aluminum 550watt power supply with clear side-window, 4 Blue LED fans, Cold Cathode light, DVD+CD-RW Burner, and 1.44 floppy drive.

I offer other services on campus to make the deal more enticing, such as...

1. FREE Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware protection.
2. FREE Home or dorm computer installation.
3.Games at cheap prices, installed, optimized, and ready-to-play instantly.
4. Over-clocked CPU, memory, and 9800Pro for higher performance than standard company parts.
5. Buyer can customize case any way they like, color case, extra fans, heatsink, etc.
6. The entire computer is tested before hand and the buyer is required to do no installation of any kind by themselves.

I'm planning to sell the above computer for $1,199.
:D

1. DON'T use sata, the students don't need it, cut back on the hdd and sell 80 gig IDEs (with the option of upgrading to 160)
2. people who would buy from you instead of building their own computer probably don't need a good gpu, sell somelike like 5200s or 5700s with the option of upgrading to 6600/6800/x800
3. window's home edition; i have a burned version of it with and i've installed it on many comps using the same CD key, i bet you can do this and but back on the costs
4. 1 gig memory isn't necessary unless they're gaming, just sell 512mb with the option of 1 gig
5. the case, lighting, and the bundling of games, antivirus, etc. is very smart

also, use the cheapest mobo you can find and buy stuff in bulk

Wow, I thought noone had replied to this post so I just moved on...Instead this forum is just incredibly active:cool:

Thanks Diablo, very good points.
1. On the HDDs I wanted to impress them with the pure size of the HDD for mp3 capacity, etc.
2. Also true...I was a bit foolish in making my standard card one like the 9800Pro...must college students don't even know what it is :(
3. I thought that was illegal :eek:
4. Yep, also good idea. 512mb makes the initial price much cheaper of course.

Unfortunately I had to cut down on the size of the description due to the relatively small size (about 2 pages) of the ad the college allowed me to post.

--------------------------------

Indeed Esine...I've been thinking about selling a "bargain bin computer," but, as you say, hardly any profit. Reminds me of a comment my dad made, "You may make some profit off of higher-end computers, but you still can't beat the kid in Taiwan working for 50 cents an hour." :p

Well you could offer the low and high end systems both that way students could make their own decisions. Being the avid music and game junkie I am I would say the 1199 price tag for what your offering on the original system is a damn good deal. Especially with monitor.

The other computer I put in my ad is this:

Value Computer - $699
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (3.0 Ghz equivalent) and motherboard (motherboard pending:p) , 512 MB Samsung pc3200 DDR Ram, 9600 Pro 8X video card 128mb, 80 GB SATA 7200rpm 8mb Cache hard-drive, customized aluminum gaming case with see-through window and LED fans and 500W power supply, and Windows XP Home Edition.

I'm thinking about putting in a $499 computer...one that most college students can likely afford, but I still get a decent amount of profit.

It would probably be...AMD XP 2400+, FX5200, 40GB HDD, 256mb pc3200 and low end case. Windows XP is a killer tho
:beard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom