Clone Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
How do I clone my current hard drive to a bigger one and use that as the primary boot drive? Does Norton Ghost work? If so, what is the procedure.

This is what I recommend (easiest way): Get a Hiren's boot disk (PM me if you can't find one...), and use the Norton Ghost utility in there (it's an older version, and much easier IMO than t he newer one). You can do a Local, direct disk to disk copy,and use the new drive as the boot drive. Done it tons of times, swapping out drives myself.

v9.3 or 9.4 should work. I have 2 of 'em, one is an older one, and one is a v9.3 one.

Just checked, and my v9.3 one has Ghost 11.

Hmm, seems Hirens doesn't offer that DL link anymore. Luckily there are alternate methods ;)

Will copying over to another HDD mess up the OS and programs in anyway? Since there might be different serial numbers of the HDD etc.

Search for 'Hiren BootCD' and you'll get plenty of options =P.

And no, I've done it tons of times. Did it even with my HP computer I have, to give it a bigger drive. Done it 2 or 3 times with my current machine (different drives, heh). Worst I've had to do, was do a reactivation of Photoshop. Didn't have to reactivate windows tho.

Just looked at the 2 diff bootcd's I have.. one is v9.0 (has Ghost 8.3 on it), and v9.3 (has Ghost 11.1 on it).

Just do Local > Copy > Disk to Disk, I believe is the option. Just set it so that it'll boot off of that drive then. I'd disconnect the original drive then, as well, tomake sure it boots off of the new drive all right. If it does, then I'd make sure that everything still works, and if it does, format the old drive.

It shouldn't. Since it's just making a duplicate of each file, and copying it over to the new drive, and the new drive would be assigned C:\.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom