Cleaning LCD monitors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Exclamation Cleaning LCD monitors

So I have a dell 22" and it gets a bit dusty and I've been using my cloth I got with my thermaltake tower to carefully sweep the dust that builds across the screen. I was wondering is there any better ways people clean their monitors? I'm too afraid to use water or any of those LCD wipes which seem to have loads of alcohol on them. Whats everyones methods?

i7 3770k @ stock 3.5, Gigabyte GA-Z77X UD3H
Samsung 830 SSD 256gb and WD Black HD 1Tb, CoolerMaster HAF-X Case
Corsair HX 750 watt PSU, EVGA GTX 670 with 1.25 gig video memory @ stock settings, 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card, Logitech G5 series 2
Corsair K90 keyboard, Dell 24" U2412M monitor
Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Cleaning LCD monitors

As a rule a very soft non linting cloth will take the dust off while one method is simply to lightly wipe the screen and surrounding frame as well as base with a typical antistatic tissue you toss into the clothes dryer while doing your laundry. Those eliminate the static build up that attracts dust to the screen on lcds as well as on tv sets.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

swifter duster
Intel Q9550
Gigabyte P45T - USB3P
evga 8800GTS 512MB
evga 8800GTS 512MB
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 2x2GB
Razer Baraccuda AC-1 Sound card
Western Digital 320GB SATA
Caviar Black 1TB
Samsung 12xDVD-RAM (x2)
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mice
Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
Samsung 22" monitor
Samsung 19" monitor
Antec twelve hundred
Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Best thing you can do is pretty much what you are already. Using a non-scratch and anti-static cloth like eyeCpc said.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

If you saw the dust that gets on tv screens as well as monitors around here at times your eyes would be bulging out! !!!

The old heating system eventually will be replaced with central heat and air with what? Better "Filtration" instead of forced air. Looking for an effective solution what do you know a guest appearing on the Ophray tv show some time back brought up the idea of using those for removing dust off of consumer electronics like tvs and you know who had to try it out on the lcd here.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

soft cloth plus clean water is generally the best solution. i wouldn't use anything with any solvents or alcohol as it can damage the films/coatings they use on screens. i used to use the soft cloth that came with my TT Soprano on my CRT screen. i haven't cleaned my LCD in quite a while now, i think last time i used tissues . i don't know if you guys have them in america but a "Chux" cloth would probably be good.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

You can soft cleaning cloths here that come along with cleaners. But when going to moisten them with water(many like bottled or distilled) you don't soak it only dampen a small area just enough to do the job.

Some will use an overlay to protect the screen when getting a new monitor that you can clean easily and not worry about non abrasive or mild cleaning solutions. I would never recommend the use of denatured or rubbing alcohol on any type of plastic or vinyl surface like an lcd's display. It tends to discolor these types of materials.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

wow... I suppose I'm the only one who uses their arm then

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to ApolloIV

I get a soft cloth and dampin just a corner of it and wipe off the dust then go over it with the dry part of the cloth for good measure.
CPU: Q6600 2.8ghz for the time being
GPU: VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB
HDD: Barracuda 250GB
PSU: Rosewill Stallion Series RD600N
Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

I run into these lcd cleaning solutions often while browsing only to look at the prices and say no thanks! You don't have to buy any special solution but simply use common sense like not soaking a cloth completely or spraying just any cleaning solution or spray cleaner onto the screen itself.

Closed Thread