Cleaning LCD monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I have a dell 22" and it gets a bit dusty and I've been using my cloth I got with my thermaltake tower to carefully sweep the dust that builds across the screen. I was wondering is there any better ways people clean their monitors? I'm too afraid to use water or any of those LCD wipes which seem to have loads of alcohol on them. Whats everyones methods?

As a rule a very soft non linting cloth will take the dust off while one method is simply to lightly wipe the screen and surrounding frame as well as base with a typical antistatic tissue you toss into the clothes dryer while doing your laundry. Those eliminate the static build up that attracts dust to the screen on lcds as well as on tv sets.

Best thing you can do is pretty much what you are already. Using a non-scratch and anti-static cloth like eyeCpc said.

If you saw the dust that gets on tv screens as well as monitors around here at times your eyes would be bulging out! :eek::eek::eek: !!!

The old heating system eventually will be replaced with central heat and air with what? Better "Filtration" instead of forced air. Looking for an effective solution what do you know a guest appearing on the Ophray tv show some time back brought up the idea of using those for removing dust off of consumer electronics like tvs and you know who had to try it out on the lcd here. :D

soft cloth plus clean water is generally the best solution. i wouldn't use anything with any solvents or alcohol as it can damage the films/coatings they use on screens. i used to use the soft cloth that came with my TT Soprano on my CRT screen. i haven't cleaned my LCD in quite a while now, i think last time i used tissues :p. i don't know if you guys have them in america but a "Chux" cloth would probably be good.

You can soft cleaning cloths here that come along with cleaners. But when going to moisten them with water(many like bottled or distilled) you don't soak it only dampen a small area just enough to do the job.

Some will use an overlay to protect the screen when getting a new monitor that you can clean easily and not worry about non abrasive or mild cleaning solutions. I would never recommend the use of denatured or rubbing alcohol on any type of plastic or vinyl surface like an lcd's display. It tends to discolor these types of materials.

I get a soft cloth and dampin just a corner of it and wipe off the dust then go over it with the dry part of the cloth for good measure.

I run into these lcd cleaning solutions often while browsing only to look at the prices and say no thanks! You don't have to buy any special solution but simply use common sense like not soaking a cloth completely or spraying just any cleaning solution or spray cleaner onto the screen itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom