Cleaning a CPU/Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it out, lay it on a newspaper clean it. Then clean the heatsink the alcohol evaporates while I am putting the CPU back into its socket. But I use the proper 99%. You probally will not need to as it is a cloth...

I use the 70% aswell. Im not too fond of the rest being water but nothing is dead so it's all good. Just clean everything off wait for it to dry, apply the compound on the CPU and clip the HS/F on.

I suggest you ise QTips instead of cotton balls, you have a smaller direct area of content and you can gently scrape any stubbord residue off as well..

make sure you dont put the proc down and then wipe it. you might damage the pins, be sure to hold the proc around the edges (Qtips werk better at this angle, you jsut use afew more of them :p )

I just bought the artic clean 2 step revomal crap...

WOW....that stuff is amazing!

an amazing waste of money, i don't see how it could do the job better than methylated spirits or isopropyl as they make it dead easy. 250ml of arcti clean is like 4-5 times more expensive than 1L of methylated spirits.

@Diabetic: it really depends on what "the gunk" is. if it is just thermal paste then just about any alcohol based product will lift it. if its a thermal pad then may god have mercy on us all :|

It was a thermal pad, but it was no match for a credit card :D

Cheers for your help all, you were excellent. I got my heatsink off (eventually), got it clean (eventually), and then got it back on again (eventually). Added a back mounted 120mm fan, and added two fans onto my hard drive (although that biatch still says its running at 58*, which I strongly doubt as its reasonably cool to the touch). Now all I need do is take the front of my case off, when I find out how, and add in an 80' to complete my cooling upgrade. I'm amazed at how cool my CPU is now running with this AS5, idling at around 25, and on load doing about 32.

Thanks again folks, you're help has been A* quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom