Cleaning a CPU/Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey folks, I'm in need of removing the gunk from the bottom of my heatsink, and the top of my CPU.

Thing is, I need to get this heatsink cleaned and back into the computer as fast as possible, which means I can't wait around to recieve special cleaning stuff that I've ordered (and there are very few reasonable computer shops near where I live). So, how would I go about doing this effectively with 'basic supplies'.

I have a few old plastic cards I won't need (top up cards for my phone and several other random things) which I assume I'll be able to use on the heatsink? I also have a few alcohol wipes lying around somewhere, and a few cotton wool bud thingies (Americans call them Q-tips?).

So, any help in this area would be great. Also, would it be best if I actually take my CPU out the socket before cleaning it? Or would that just be a pointless extra precaution.

- Cheers

Go to a Chemist and ask for a bottle of Isopropyl if they say they don't have it, than anthing above 90% alcohol will do (with nothing else added like nail polish remover which will not be suitable.)

Use the cotton wall buds for the isopropyl.

lol... chemist... u crazy englishmen

its a pharmacist! derrr :p

but ur right, isopropl alcohol is the ticket

cwiz said:
lol... chemist... u crazy englishmen

its a pharmacist! derrr :p

but ur right, isopropl alcohol is the ticket

Sorry, I meant pharmacist (not a English mistake, just a dumb one. Atleast you got the point of it ;) )

I don't think they will be suitable for this, as they will not put 90%+ alcohol on a tissue designed for cleaning a babies bum will they...(?)

Trifid said:
I don't think they will be suitable for this, as they will not put 90%+ alcohol on a tissue designed for cleaning a babies bum will they...(?)

I'll have to go and check the contents but they aren't for cleaning a babies arse I assure you. They are about half the size of the palm of your hand, and completely square.

Meh, will be back after I check the strength of 'em.

Alright, these wipes are 70% alcohol. Will this be strong enough, or is that extra 20% really needed?

Ah coolies. So, I just need rub this wipe over my CPU, and then wait a couple seconds for it to dry (leave it a few mins for safety) ? And as I asked earlier, it worth me taking the CPU out the socket?

(love the avatar by the way, go Silent Bob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom