Choosing a mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldice

Daemon Poster
When people choose a motherboard, what should they look for?
I ask this because motherboards (unless i'm very much mistaken) do not have a number that they can be 'judged' and quantified by, (besides price) like clock speed for processors and the various specifications for RAM.

While i'm at it, what are the standard sizes for motherboards?

-Thanks in advance-

i mainly just look at the features, and ask around to see which one is most liked and which is most ocable.

the standard size for a mobo is atx, but there are micro-atc boards available as well for shuttle's and the like

You can OC motherboards? I thought i was only for processors....but I know that the BIOS is stored on the mobo, and that's where you OC stuff.

Is there a speed difference? Like does one mobo transfer data at the same rate as the next?

when you overclock a motherboard, it basically means making the transfer speeds faster. the most common thing to overclock is the FSB or Front Side Bus (or if it's an Athlon 64 it would be the HTT), the link between CPU and RAM (which also overclocks the RAM)

the CPU's speed runs at the speed of the FSB multiplied by the "multiplier"
the CPU in my home computer is a Pentium 3 933MHZ
it runs at 133 (FSB) * 7 = 933MHZ
but now I have it overclocked, it is 150 (FSB) * 7 = 1050MHZ
the multiplier usually does not change. sometimes it does, but usually not.
when people overclock, often they will lower the multiplier so they can raise the FSB even more. this gives about the same core speed, but faster memory access
for example, if I lowered my multiplier to 5 on my CPU, I could raise the FSB to 210MHZ to get 1050MHZ core speed, but the memory access is faster. I can't really change my muitiplier because that's how Intel made it, but you see how it works

you choose the motherboard based on what parts you have/are getting, and on the quality. a low quality board will often make your system crash, and/or not let you overclock as far, or would have some other drawbacks
I often look at brands. if there is a brand I don't know, I find out what other people's experiences are before I buy it

some good brands are Abit, Asus, Gigabyte and DFI

99.9% of new motherboards now are standard ATX, and some are Micro ATX.
any Micro ATX board will fit in a standard ATX case, it just won't use all the peripheral card brackets at the back

apokalipse said:
when you overclock a motherboard, it basically means making the transfer speeds faster. the most common thing to overclock is the FSB or Front Side Bus (or if it's an Athlon 64 it would be the HTT), the link between CPU and RAM (which also overclocks the RAM)

What does HTT stand for?

Aren't you supposed to keep the ram to the FSB/HTT at 1:1, which means...when you OC that FSB/HTT you also OC the RAM.

And when you overclock the FSB/HTT it also means that you're OCing the ram; and to OC the RAM you tend to need expensive RAM, right?

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

HTT is Hyper Threading..

When I get a Motherboard, I make sure that IT HAS AN AGP SLOT ! and enough PCI slots to fulfill my needs such as sound cards, etc..what might need to go in.. Also what type of RAM is supported, and how much...hope that helps... oh yeah also it depends on what type of processor you want... ;)

just make sure you get a motherboard that agrees with the rest of your hardware. i would suggest dfi, abit, asus, msi...if you aren't ocing then get an msi, if you are gonna oc i would suggest an abit board. and there is also btx size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom