chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's badically all the things intigrated into the mobo and all its statictics. Like if they want to change the processor socket or add a PCI-E slot, they need to make a new chipset.

Sport1031 said:
It's badically all the things intigrated into the mobo and all its statictics. Like if they want to change the processor socket or add a PCI-E slot, they need to make a new chipset.

They dont need to make a new chipset if they want to use a different CPU socket or add a PCI-E slot.

The chipset usually refers to the Northbridge and the Southbridge chip. The Northbridge chip handles the data from fast devices such as your video card or RAM. Your Southbridge handles data from slower devices such as your PCI bus and IDE controller.

Edit: I just looked at the link that PizzatheHut gave, and that pretty much says what I just did but in more detail...

The chipset usually refers to the Northbridge and the Southbridge chip. The Northbridge chip handles the data from fast devices such as your video card or RAM. Your Southbridge handles data from slower devices such as your PCI bus and IDE controller
In terms of AMD that only applies to socket A systems.

An AMD64 system doesn't have a north or south bridge it's just 'the chipset'

Basically in short the chipset is where data from your slots and HD's and whatnot are handled and then routed to your CPU.

On socket A systems the northbridge handled memory operations, whereas now the AMD64's have an on die memory controller so no more northbridge.

I believe on a lot of intel boards a new CPU meant a new chipset, but that doesn't always apply, not to AMD atleast.

In terms of AMD that only applies to socket A systems.

An AMD64 system doesn't have a north or south bridge it's just 'the chipset'

Basically in short the chipset is where data from your slots and HD's and whatnot are handled and then routed to your CPU.

On socket A systems the northbridge handled memory operations, whereas now the AMD64's have an on die memory controller so no more northbridge.

I believe on a lot of intel boards a new CPU meant a new chipset, but that doesn't always apply, not to AMD atleast.

I guess I was speaking pretty generically before. Yes it is just Intels now that have the Northbridge on a separate chip.

There are a few chipsets from Intel that are on boards that use Socket 478 and the newer 775.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom