Checked my CPU temp in BIOS and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats with 'Gigabyte' and their products being involved somehow with heating problems?...:rolleyes:
idunno if you ask me :confused:

Lasrix said:
whats with 'Gigabyte' and their products being involved somehow with heating problems?...:rolleyes:
idunno if you ask me :confused:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious so i'm going to answer you as if you were being serious..

Gigabyte isn't the problem. Intel is.

To answer your question about the motherboard..

1) check for bios updates

2) make sure that your fan is *properly* mounted on the cpu

i had a problem with dual xeons running on supermicro xdal boards where the backplane that supports the cpu fans would actually bend the motherboard. Ended up using some nuts to mount the cpufan to the MB and then mounted the mb in the system.. Before i fixed the fans cpu1 was running at around 80 in the bios and cpu2 was 70ish. After the fix cpu1 was running at 40, cpu2 was running at 39.

3) Remove your thermal compound (scrape it off with a razor blade) and reapply. When you apply the paste use a piece of cardboard to make a nice even thin coat (on the cpu). You don't want huge gobs of thermal paste, it actually decreases its effectiveness. Most of the thermal pads that come with retail heat sinks suck.

Gigabyte is not the problem, your problem is intel.. My system is overclocked right now by 700mhz (i got a venice amd64 3500 and overclocked it to 2.9ghz), my cpu is idling (with music playing and some firefox windows) at 30c

edit.. the 775s should run at 45-50 idle

I am fully aware that Intels run hot (and according to Tom's Hardware, sometimes fatally hot, in the case of 3.8 Prescotts), but I do beleive that 96C is well out of operating specifications. I have touched the heatsink in the past, and I could bearly feel any heat. It certainly did not cause any pain. As for the thermal pad, I did not tamper with it in any way, it is the stock pad (which apparently is actually reasonable). Mounting, as this was my first computer build (it's been running for more than 8 months now), I had a friend help me with the mounting. I witnessed it and everythign seems to go smoothly. I assume they are designed so there is no wrong way to physically mount them (ie you can't have it rotated 90 degrees and still have it go on). I will check for BIOS update, though. But one would think we would have mastered making temperature diodes by now...

digitaloracle said:
1. No, stock speeds
2. The stock LGA cooler is actually pretty good, and most aftermarket ones are based upon it's design (look on Tom's Hardware)
3. LOL wish I could :)
4. Yeah, you caught the problem "somehow"

As long as there is virtually no way that the computer could be remotely stable at 96C, I can be pretty sure that they are false. Last time I buy from Gigabyte :)

Gigabyte's a great company, I buy from them all the time with no problems. Not trying to dis you, just trying to get my preference across :D.

I really shouldn't hold anythign against them. Anyhow, I sent out a support request to them about this problem. I just hope the sensors are broken, and that there is a way to fix them via software.

Dude, truth is i own a 3.4 GHZ LGA 775 cpu. YES THAT IS THE CORRECT TEMPERATURE! I had a better than stock heatsink and i was only cooling at about 80 C. That was with AS5. You will have to buy a better heatsink with these boards they run hot as hell.

Stock cooling absolutly wont work. Water cooling or a good heat pipe cooler will keep it cool.

Just becareful i mounted a Thermal Take cooler on mine and on the backside the voltage pins poked through the pad and shorted out my mobo. So, make sure if u buy a mounting unit with a new heatsink they dont poke through.

use electrical tape or a dremel it works wonders. i had that problem on the gigabyte k8ns* with zalman 7000 backplanes.

if you're going to get a new heatsink checkout the zalman 7700cu. it's worth it if it will fit in your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom