Checked my CPU temp in BIOS and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
HOLY S**T!
96 C!
This was after the system had been running for several hours, but not really doing anything stressful (just websurfing and playing videos/music).
Could this temperature be correct? I am running an LGA775 P4 3Ghz (I think that that means it's a Prescott) with stock cooling. When I first boot up and go into BIOS (after around 10 hours off), it reads 55C, and climbs rather steadily. MBM5, which says it is incompatible with my motherboard, displays temperatues of -55C, -2C, and some others, one of which I found once at 96C, then a bit later it had dropped to something more normal. It has been a while since I looked at MBM5, so those numbers are just for background.
Is it likely that my temp diodes are broken? Or is that the real CPU temp? It is still running at 3Ghz (in windows system properites), and my computer appears to be stable at this temp.

EDIT: Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro, BTW

Theres another post on here somewhere about someone having a similar problem with the abit av8 3rd eye, my friends got the same processor and his never get high temps like that, so i doubt they are true. Dont really know what you could do to get the real temp readings tho

1. Did you overclock it? If yes, how much?
2. Try a different cooler, never run stock stuff
3. Get an AMD
4. Get your diodes checked, somehow.
5. If you need more help, don't ask me, I ran out of ideas.

1. No, stock speeds
2. The stock LGA cooler is actually pretty good, and most aftermarket ones are based upon it's design (look on Tom's Hardware)
3. LOL wish I could :)
4. Yeah, you caught the problem "somehow"

As long as there is virtually no way that the computer could be remotely stable at 96C, I can be pretty sure that they are false. Last time I buy from Gigabyte :)

I wouldnt even of gotten a Gigabyte board in the first place. But on the subject at hand, Yes, those numbers are completely false.

How hot is your heatsink, if it's not OWWWWWWW hot i am guessing you have a sensor problem

digitaloracle said:
1. No, stock speeds
2. The stock LGA cooler is actually pretty good, and most aftermarket ones are based upon it's design (look on Tom's Hardware)
3. LOL wish I could :)
4. Yeah, you caught the problem "somehow"

As long as there is virtually no way that the computer could be remotely stable at 96C, I can be pretty sure that they are false. Last time I buy from Gigabyte :)

First off, Gigabytes are great.
Also do you have the thermal pad on the HSF? And also did you put it on right????????

I OC my 2.8 to 3.6 with an idle of 42c and max 51c

Well I'm sure he does have some type of thermal compound, maybe not a pag but something otherwise I don't think his cpu would work very long.

Vampire_Slayer said:
Well I'm sure he does have some type of thermal compound, maybe not a pag but something otherwise I don't think his cpu would work very long.

All stock LGA775 P4's come with a thermal pad. that is the recommended way of transferring heat between the spreader and the HSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom