Cheap Laptop!!! Guaranteed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Baseband Member
Ok, so (please don't laugh), but I've decided to write a novel, I do have confidence in my eventual ability after some practice, but I guess all new writers do. I have just recently made this pc, a desktop, and its not really any good for writing on, as it is in frequent use by other people, and its stuck in my living room. My hand writing is really quite messy, and I like to edit as I write anyhow, so I thought a laptop would be ideal for writing. I could write anywhere (mainly around the house though), even in sunny park.

Problem is I do not have a lot of money to spend on one. But I am lucky in the fact that I donÂ’t care what it looks like much, don't care if its second hand, it only needs to run word properly, it doesnÂ’t need to be thin or modern and I'm not bothered by the weight of it (hey, I could use the exercise!!). I am led to believe that these factors are usually contributed to the expense in laptops (or notebooks, or whatever we are calling them these days. I'm not even too bothered by noise, as long as people don't stare at my on a train while using it!

All should be straight forward then, but I would like to spend as little as possible, I am the opposite of rich you see. I am thinking £150 (a little under $300US I think), but if needed I can go higher or lower than that. There are a few things also that worries me. After I have typed my pure gold into it, I would like to know its safe, at least until I can get it to my desktop to back it up. I can't stand it when things like word run slow, its demoralising.

There are a few things I wouldn’t mind, if it were possible for a budget, which is using firefox to go online with it, playing cds and mp3s on it, win 98 or XP (which I have spare copies for) and maybe to run older games on it, I do mean OLD games (I do not have high expectations) like half life fallout and no one lives forever. These are not essential, but if £150 is still a bit of money to me, so it would be nice, but yeah its not the point of me getting a notebook.

I am completely lost in the world of notebooks, but I am sure that there must be thousands of people out there who have old notebooks that are too old for anyone to want, but still have the features I need. I guess the only other thing I would really want is a guarantee or warranty on it, cos if it breaks down I don't want it to be a waste of hard saved money.

Thank you for the time in reading this, I know you all must have better things to do, your all heroes in my mind. Helping all the people that come here, whilst entertaining us all with arguments over the quality of ATI and NVIDIA

- D Keaton

check ebay, you're not going to find a new notebook anywhere for $300. the cheapest new notebook i've seen is from dell for $500...

are there any system requirements for what I need? Its been a long time since ive had a pc that old, and my brain can't remember beyond a few months ago when I built this pc. Having a pc that runs old games too fast is something new to me, but it has spoiled me to a degree that I have forgotten what its like to have deus ex run at snails pace (which isn't too long ago actually). It feels strange when it asks me to make sure the "the turbo button" is pressed off to better perfomance.

Anyway, what would the min laptop specs be just to run word properly, or for old games like civ (the dos version) and maybe as new up to nolf/half life? Or am I on the wrong track here?

From what someone told me somewhere else, keep the speed of the computer for old games 6X the speed or slower then the minimum requirments.

"Anyway, what would the min laptop specs be just to run word properly, or for old games like civ (the dos version) and maybe as new up to nolf/half life? Or am I on the wrong track here?"

apparently he does have some sort of gaming in mind....

lol with that title I was getting ready to close another spam thread.....then I actually saw you weren't advertising :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom