chassis fan issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I am helping my friend build his machine. the mobo is a asus P4P800SE , it has got 3 power sockets for fans.
they are labelled cpu fan, power fan, chassis fan.
where does the power fan socket go to, not the power supply fan now, does it?
my friend wants to have two extra fans, since there is only one extra socket, can we somehow split the power coming out of the chassis fan socket and feed it to two chassis fans or will this mess up the motherboard and we should stick to one chassis fan and provide power to the other chassis fan using one of the molex connectors

Your best bet is to go the molex route, even if you splice the wiring to support the two fans, that power lead might not have enough juice to power both fans since its desined for just one.

Yeah I agree you probably won't have enough wattage or amparage??? to power the both, So just use a molex for one

instead of buying a bunch of extra fans, you can buy one bigger more efficient fans. I am not sure what the cost difference is, but you will probably get better cooling for a cheaper price, and then you dont have to worry about any problems associated with drawing too much power from the mother board. However, I do believe that splicing the power chord, or using holocrons idea will work just fine. But why put in the extra effort when it's unneccisary?

even the northbridge/southbridge chips use fans on this mobo?
i have got a giabyte 81875 ultra, it does not have fans for its northbridge/southbridge chips

i checked my mobo
gigabyte 81875 ultra and it has got a powerfan connector and a northbridge fan connector,
so on my mobo what is the powerfan connector for?

also this newbie discovered that he does not have a chassis fan, maybe that is what is causing my machine to overheat when i am playing games.

i was thinking of putting in a chassis fan which woudl get its power from the powerfan connector(is that right?), can you guys suggest a fan, some one suggested that i go for a 2 fan combination, one which will screw onto my chassis, and the second which will screw onto one of the pci slots?

I have a splitter for 2 of the fans that are powered off the mobo and nothing has burned out yet, both run at the proper rpms. But each system is different so go with the molex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom