Changed cases now it won't on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwyrbla

Beta member
Heres my problem, since i got my sister a newer pc i took her old hp pavillion pentium 2 celeron off her hands. now my intentions with this were tunring it into a little router/server but i really didnt like having to work on it becasue the case was incredibly small and clutered so i decided ide switch it to a much bigger case i had laying aorund. so i take everything out and move it into the new case with all the orignal parts except for the switch i plug it in then press the switch and i get nothing yet oddly when i plug the network card in the light shows up as if its powered on. so i figured it must be a bad switch so i pull out the original switch basically destroying the case and mod it into the new case and for some reason that is beyond me it still refuses to power on. now i know the jumpers are not in the incorrect place since it is the same switch and they are put in the same way in fact with how it is i cant put it in the wrong place as it is all melded into one unit. i have no idea why the computer wont turn on and ide really appreciate and help i can get.

Maybe you killed the motherboard, you definitely did something wrong. Did you notice any static shock? Is there any HD activity?

Try putting it back in the old case with just the bare amount of parts necessary to make it run. Don't add any parts you don't need, like the floppy, a cd, etc....just the bare essentials and see if it will boot up. Liz

The best way to troubleshoot a grounding issue is to place the motherboard on top of a cardboard box and preferably with an anti-static bag ontop of the cardboard box and your motherboard on top of that.

From there plug in only the RAM, graphics card, and keyboard...also make sure it's close enough to the case that you can plug in the PC Speaker to listen for beeps.

Remove the graphics card, see if it beeps, if it does, then try reseating the graphics card and seeing if it boots. If it doesn't chances are the cards bad.

Same thing applies to the RAM, pull it out, if the system beeps, reseat it, if it doesn't boot, chances are it's the RAM.

Beyond swapping out CPU's theres no real way to test between it being the CPU or motherboard, but if it is indeed a grounding issue, the board will boot up outside the case.

alright it seems that it has soemthing to do with the case and the power supply once i took the power supply out the thing turned on jsut fine thanks alot for all your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom